• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from 1GB Radeon 6790 - advice please!

RobMcM

Established Member
I'm looking to upgrade my GPU from a 1GB HD Radeon 6790. I've just inherited a 1080p monitor (my last one was only 1600x900), and have noticed stuttering in some games that used to run smoothly at 60fps, such as F1 2013 and Aliens: CM (don't judge me, I enjoy it). The only setting I've changed in any game is the resolution; detail levels and so on are all identical to how they were before.

My specs are below. I bought the computer in late 2011 and haven't changed anything since, as it's been brilliant for everything up to now. Clearly the move to games in 1920x1080 was a step too far...!

Current specs: Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core (3.10GHz, 6MB Cache), Asus P8Z68-V LX, 8GB Samsung Dual-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB), 1GB AMD Radeon HD6790, 450W PSU.

I'm also, however, completely out of touch with what's what in the world of GPUs at the moment, so I don't really know where to start to look for a useful upgrade. I'm happy to spend up to £120. Would this one (2GB AMD Radeon R9 270x) be worth it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for advice!

Edit: to add PSU details in specs

Last edited:

TT84

Banned
For your price point that 270x you linked too would be a good choice, but maybe if you looked on the classified forum on this website you might pick up a better card for around the same money, just make sure it comes with the requirements you would want, ask if it has warranty left etc, if you are strict on buying new then i will link some good sites to buy from and you can compare prices too, saying that you can pick up new cards from the classified forum when they come about.

Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment & more
Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk
Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices
Cheap Laptops, Tablet PC, and Cheap LED TVs | Ebuyer.com
Overclockers UK - Computer components, hardware & gaming PC

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom