1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade four months...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fred123go, Dec 6, 2003.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there guys,
    I have nearly completed my present upgrade and hopefully it will be a big step up from my old system...but i will probably miss 7.1, like i had with my old system, so in 4 mnths i will probably upgrade to that, i would have about £800 max really. I would be buying the Rotel RMB-1070 power amp to handle the rear centres, second hand probably so that's about £350 or something, and i would like to get another pair of M&K S-55's, any idea how much these would be second hand?and does anyone reckon the new M&K k-4 tripoles are better than them or not?
    thanks a lot
    Fred

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    If your going 7.1 then my recommendation would be to use s-85's as you back channel which are directional. You tend to find that if you use tripoles at the rear as well as the sides it will muddy the rear channels. Ultra 2 spec is to have directional for centre rears. If you can't get s-85s second hand then try a pr of M&K 650's.

S-55 are about £800 new a pr but are very rarely sold second hand.

Your amp choice is good if you can get one cheap.

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Phil,
    I dunno-my room is pretty small, very small for a hc room, so i will see how the S-55's hold up. I am sure they will provide the spacious and direct, at the same time, sound i want. Something which my old M-S 506's could not do.
    I will look more into it in 4 months-on the other hand i could just improve my visual side of my hc and invest in a high-end dvd player.
    cheers though
    and btw did you get yours active mackies?how they fair up with the old 750's?
    Fred

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fred - if you're room's THAT small you're probably going to mess up the rear soundstage using two centre-rear speakers, and you'll just ruin it completely if you use tripoles.

As THX 1138 correctly points out, it's strongly advised that centre-rear speakers should be direct-radiating monopole designs, and not Tripoles.

In my listening room, I'm pretty much sat flush against the rear wall, so don't have a lot of space for 'expansion' in my rear soundstage, and thus am quite content with 5.1 listening much of the time. If you're room's too small you might not notice many benefits to a 6.1 setup.

As you point out, a Visual improvement might make the most sense. You've got a great sound set-up, you're probably best improving your visual side (which has a lot of room for improvement).

You might also find difficult in getting hold of a Second Hand RB1070 for the centre-rear channels, as these don't pop up in the Second Hand arena too often.

Dimmy.