Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrade for Yamaha DSP-E800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by davepuma, Jun 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hi,

I am considering upgrading my Yamaha DSP-E800/Arcam Alpha 8 integrated Amp to a full on AV amp. I would probably like to retain the Arcam for CD playback despite having to get off my fat one to change the input when changing between music and AV!!!! Can anyone recommend an AV amp to replace the DSP-E800 bearing in mind I will not be using it for all 5 channels. Also, while I'm at it, if most DVDs are in 5.1 only and very few are actually in DTS etc what is the point in all these new surround sound modes ie. 6.1, 7.1 etc etc? I for one have enough cables as it is without adding more! One thing that I would particularly like to upgrade is the DPL on the DSP-E800 to DPL2 or am I just upgrading for the sake of it?!

Dave :confused:

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    You might want to consider replacing both your units with the Arcam AVR200 which can be bought for about £600. This will give you all the surround modes you are ever likely to need given your lack of interest in 6.1 or 7.1 channels. It will also give your ageing Alpha 8 amp a run for its money in stereo too.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What sort of budget are you looking at Davepuma?

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    davepuma, it's an interesting question. I'm in exactly the same boat (substitute Linn for Arcam though). See my thread in the 'Processor s & Power Amps' forum just below this one.

And I'm not sure what the answer is either, except that it has to be wife-friendly, and is unlikely to involve anything more than 5.1.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Budget £400 - £900 (Still unsure whether to go budget or blow the bank) I've looked around and everywhere seems to point at the Arcam AVR300. It's a bit out of my price range so I'll maybe have to start saving. How would I connect it up to get my Arcam Amp to drive the front speakers and the AV Amp to drive the rest (as my DSP-E800 does at the mo)? Is it something to do with the pre-out?

Dave

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would advise listening to the AVR300 as is supposed to be as good as a stereo amp and that would mean less cables and boxes for you:)
    If you want to keep within your budget have a look at Yamaha rxv1400, denon 3803 (should be a decent price now) Pioneer ax3, maybe able to get a 2011 second hand or anax5i if your lucky, marantz sr7400 and nad t753 and 763. I would think you would want to also keep the alpha for stereo duties with the last suggestions. There are plenty of threads on here on how to set it all up if you dont know.

Hope this helps:D

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Thanks for the list of suggested kit there. I will have a butchers at that lot. Unfortunately it looks like I'm in the process of blowing my budget as I speak as I'm considering a SVS sub. :D :devil: Just working out if it will work out and not annoy my (up to now) very amicable neighbours! :rolleyes: Problem is, if I upgrade my amp I think I would have to upgrade the speakers as well (currently Tannoy Mercury). :thumbsdow

Cheers again :thumbsup: