1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade for Yamaha DSP-A5?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Emm, Jun 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Emm

Emm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Current Kit:

Panasonic TX32PD30
    Denon DVD-2200(MR)
    Netgem I-Player
    Yamaha DSP-A5
    Mission M74
    Mission M7C2
    Mission 77DS
    Acoustic Energy Aegis 12" Sub

Currently my lounge (17' x 11') is undergoing some considerable renevation, and as a reward to myself for going without any HC for weeks, I'm considering an upgrade to my current amp.

To be honest, the primary reason for change would be to reduce visible wiring (all helps to keep the missus happy). To date I've mananged to hide all wiring / cabling with the exception of 'equipment to TV' interconnects.

My ideal would be to have just a component feed from amp to TV and let the amp do all the necessary switching. With that in mind, what would be a siutable amp that fits the above criteria? (budget - amp needs to be 'in keeping' or balanced with remaining equipment)

I know form a quick search on here that Denon and Yamaha both have their fans. I am not a fan of a harsh or 'sibilant' sound; my A5 seems to manage to tame the Missions well. I'd like to keep the same 'warm' balance of my existing setup, but have the benefit of switching.

If I consider the Denon 3805 or the Yamaha 1400 for example, would I hear a worthwile improvement for my money? (amp will be excusively for DVD). I'm also a tiny bit concerned over posts here about Denon remotes playing up and Yamahas having DTS issues (as well as being 'bright').

As an aside, can anyone recommend through experience a reputable UK online supplier with good aftersales?

As a keen audio enthusiast since the late seventies, I'm well aware that ultimately it's down to my ears, but any input / suggestions / ideas etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yamahas being bright (and Denons being warm) was said during the days of the DSP-A5 and the models before that (in basically all price ranges).
    So if you don't consider your DSP-A5 bright then I don't think that you would consider the new models as bright either. But as usual you should do an audition, preferrably with the same speakers as yours or at your house even.

I don't think my DSP-A1 is bright either but rather neutral. Or in other words: sh.. in, sh.. out. ;)