1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade fever - need advice :)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mhc, Feb 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mhc

mhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I'm happy with my 1 year old setup of CD73T, A65+ and Quad 11L speakers, but feel I could be doing better, particularly in the stereo imaging. I reckon my options are either replace the A65 or add a power amp, and am canvassing for people's experiences.

On the poweramp side, I notice quite a few old Arcam poweramps on eBay (i.e. not P80/P90). Would any of them be suitable with the A65 or would I have to go with a P80/P90?

Thanks,

Mark

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are referring to the Alpha amps, they are great. I use 3 of them (Alpha 10, Alpha 10P/3, Alpha 9) wth my AVR300 and I'm etting terrific sound. In addition to Ebay you might also want to check Audiogon for used equipment.

Upgrade fever is fun but can be expensive. I'm trying to decide now whether to keep my leased car, or order something new. Upgrade fever may prevail.

Dean

3. mhc

mhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like you're feeding integrated amps (Alpha 10 + Alpha 9) from another integrated amp? Pardon my newbie ignorance, but is it possible to just use the power side of an Alpha amplifier and feed it from my DiVa A65+?

TIA,

Mark

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's exactly what I'm doing. My Alpha 10 Int powers the L/R channels. I use the 10P/3 for C & side surr., the Alpha 9P for rear surr.

If you take the lid off the 10 Int. there's a switch on the inside back panel marked Internal/External (or something to that effect). This switches the power amp from the intenal pre inputs to the external RCA pre inputs.

You can also disable the IR receiver of the integrated so it's not responding to the AVR300 remote. I don't remember the exact steps, but you can ask and I'll look for it when the time comes.

Additionally, I have triggers to power up the amps as follows (note: the 9P does not have trigger inputs):
    I use a Niles AC-3 Triggered power supply. It has 2 triggered outlets and 1 untriggered outlet, a trigger in and a trigger out.
    The AVR300 trigger out goes to the Niles trigger in.
    The Alpha 10 Int and Alpha 9 are on the triggered outlets.
    The 10P/3 is on the untriggered outlet, and the Niles trigger out goes to the 10P/3 trigger in.
    With this, the AVR300 standby setting controls the amps.

It all works like a charm.

Dean

5. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dean-

I have been considering using a Niles triggered power supply as well. I have two McCormack amps, but only one has a trigger input. It seems as if you are happy with the sound, and I trust your ears. Another issue I have is that I use a Shunyata Hydra line conditioner and I am not sure how I would be able to use that for the amp on the Niles triggered outlet. Is there any reason I couldn't plug the Niles into the Hydra instead of into the wall? Then I wouldn't feel like I am leaving my biggest amp without the benefits of the Shunyata, most importantly the surge protection aspect.

Thanks in advance,
    V

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a Transparent Audio PPB6 (i.e. line cond.) and I do plug the Niles into that instead of the wall. So I guess the answer is yes. :)

Dean

7. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks Dean.

8. shernus

shernus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely the most balanced power amp would be the p75, about £200 on ebay,i use one of these with the a75+ from a cd72, sounds great and a big improvement from intergrated alone