Upgrade existing Sky+ to HD new contract?

armstr_a

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, if i have been with sky for a couple of years and have recently paid £150 for HD upgrade is that entering a new 12 month contract or cause i own the box leave when i like?

I believe that if you upgraded through SKY themselves, you are contracted for 12 months against the HD subscription.

I bought a box off ebay and had my card paired up 2 months ago, i rang sky last week to have HD channels switched off, only to be told 'ermm sorry sir your in a 12 moth contract when you swithced HD on.'
To cut a long story short i emailed customer relations to be told i could cancel at anytime as i bought my box elsewhere, BUT try telling CUSTOMER SERVICES,!! they still wont switch em off and insist there's nothing they can do!!:suicide:

The way I understand it is you are contracted for 12 months to the HD channels. In laymans terms if you decide you don't like the HD content then you can't simply revert back to "normal" Sky after a few weeks if you simply feel like it.

HOWEVER if you cancel Sky all together then the 12 month contract to the HD channels is null and void.

If you were already an existing subscriber for over 12 months, and sourced your box elsewhere, you are not in a 12 month contract. You can remove the HD subscription at any time. The HD portion is just a package change, like you asking for movies then cancelling a month down the line.

If they are still being pedantic about it, threaten to cancel your whole package (saying you can re-apply) for the min......They will cancel the HD in a flash to keep you :rolleyes:

now this is interesting because last month i phoned sky to get the hd install for £149 and i asked if i was tied int a 12 month contract and was told no - i could drop the hd part at anytime

If you were already an existing subscriber for over 12 months, and sourced your box elsewhere, you are not in a 12 month contract. You can remove the HD subscription at any time. The HD portion is just a package change, like you asking for movies then cancelling a month down the line.

If they are still being pedantic about it, threaten to cancel your whole package (saying you can re-apply) for the min......They will cancel the HD in a flash to keep you :rolleyes:

That's not correct. Regardless of where you got your box from you are tied into a 12 month contract for the HD channels (IF you choose to upgrade to them). This is confirmed when you call to upgrade your package.

As I said before if you cancel Sky all together then that contract becomes void.

That's not correct. Regardless of where you got your box from you are tied into a 12 month contract for the HD channels (IF you choose to upgrade to them). This is confirmed when you call to upgrade your package.

As I said before if you cancel Sky all together then that contract becomes void.

No im sorry you are incorrect, this a section of email i got from sky after trying to take HD of when they refused :

Thank you for your email regarding your 12 month subscriptions.

Firstly, I would like to apologise on behalf of Sky for the delay in replying to your email.

I have checked your account and as you purchased an HD box from another source , you would not be committed to a 12 month subscription agreement on your box or your HD subscription.

I trust this information assists and should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Kind Regards

Tom Johnstone
Customer Relations

No im sorry you are incorrect, this a section of email i got from sky after trying to take HD of when they refused :

Thank you for your email regarding your 12 month subscriptions.

Firstly, I would like to apologise on behalf of Sky for the delay in replying to your email.

I have checked your account and as you purchased an HD box from another source , you would not be committed to a 12 month subscription agreement on your box or your HD subscription.

I trust this information assists and should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Kind Regards

Tom Johnstone
Customer Relations

Has it crossed your mind that that particular employee is confused? I could easily quote an email from another Sky employee completely contradicting the one you quoted.

The reality is if you buy your box from Ebay (for example) then you are NOT committed to purchase a HD subscription (you are if you buy the box from Sky) BUT if you do you ARE committed to the HD subscription for 12 months.

Has it crossed your mind that that particular employee is confused? I could easily quote an email from another Sky employee completely contradicting the one you quoted.

The reality is if you buy your box from Ebay (for example) then you are NOT committed to purchase a HD subscription (you are if you buy the box from Sky) BUT if you do you ARE committed to the HD subscription for 12 months.

THE REALITY is that you are MISTAKEN as i have just had the HD REMOVED!
Has it crossed your MIND that your sky employee is a tad confused?

Ok calm down tiger.. Anger management school is thataway >>>>

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom