Upgrade DVPS725 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Aydon, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a DVP S-725 Sony DVD player (Non progressive) into a Denon 3803 amp out to a Sanyo Z1 pj.

The sound and vision from this setup is great as far as I can see, but I am wondering if I am missing out not having prog scan built in. (And yes, I admit it, I've got upgraditis!)

Until Christmas 2004 I can return the Sony to Richer sounds and get £250 buy back from them - which means the Denon 2200 would be around about £300 (At current prices). The question is, is it worth it? I already have a Marantz CD-63MKII CD Player so my CD playing is already good quality. The extra bits of DVD-A and SACD sound good but are they REALLY that good?

Any comments would be helpful.

*EDIT: Forgot, I only have Region 2 discs so don't need to worry about Region mods

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Well, I don't have exactly the same set up as you, but may be able to help. I have a Sony 735, Yamaha AX1 amp, M&K speakers, REL sub and Sharp Z91E projector. A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a Denon 2900 from Audio Excellence in Chester for a weekend, as I wanted to see whether technology had moved on enough to spend some dosh. And.... well, I 've still got the 735! I have to say that although the Denon had DVD/A and SACD (which were great!), the picture improvements were marginal in my humble opinion. Progressive scan was better, but only really noticeable on poorer quality DVD's, and not enough to make me want to spend £800 squids. Also, there was no difference I could hear on soundtracks from the digital out.
    So I decided to stay put for the moment, and maybe wait for the Sony to pack up!
    However, if I could get £250 for it in trade in for a 2200, that may be worth it for the SACD/DVD/A alone.
    I would be tempted to wait until Xmas 2004 and see whether you could get a more future proof player with firewire or DVI (12 months is a long time in DVD development nowadays!)

3. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I've just had a HK25 on demo (Thanks Chipster!!!) and the picture was better. The sound wasn't as good, but it had not been calibrated it was simply plug and go. As you say, 12 months is a long time, so I think I shall wait and see what happens come next 3Q.