Upgrade dilemma?

IIK3nnyII

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a modest system (monitor audio mass gen 1 set powered by a yamaha 679 receiver). I have had this system for a fair few years now and i am wanting to upgrade. Due to the other half i am restricted on the size of speakers i can purchase. This has left me wondering what my best option is on my upgrade path?

I was thinking of moving to a denon amp preferably the 3700h and also purchasing a bk xxls400 subwoofer but the choice of other speakers i cannot seem to decide upon? I was looking at maybe the bw m1's or could potentially get some small stand mounts if they are not too big.

Room size is approx 5m x 4.5m with the tv front centre in the room. I will be making a 5.1 system initially with a view to upgrading to a 7.1.2

Many thanks in advance for all your input.

You need to think about what you're trying to achieve. What is missing in your current system that an upgrade will bring. If you're not running a sub currently then that will make a massive difference. Do you have the space behind seating for 7.1.2?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i currently have the matching w200 sub but would like one that dug that little bit lower and was tighter. I am considering upgrading the amp as i would like eARC and other new features. In relation to having the room to accomodate the 7.1.2 i am unsure it may be that i run 5.1 with just the front height channels also.

If you could advise that would be great.

You ideally need a metre behind seating to accommodate back surround channels. Better sub sounds like a good shout and maybe better amp. No knowledge of those speakers so I'll leave that for someone else to comment.

Hi

Do you have an overall budget in mind? A picture showing current set up would be useful to. Helps members with potential speaker sizes etc.

I agree with @Harkon321 A better sub will add loads to your audio experience imo. You could also upgrade in stages (if the budget is tight). Eg: buy the front 3 speakers, re-purpose 2 of your current mass speakers as surrounds.

Will/is your current setup used for music, movies or both.

Thats great thank you, is it worth the extra money for a system of this quality to go for the 3700h or would the 2700h suffice. From what you mentioned it would be bordeline in obtaining the minimum 1m clearance so that will be something i have to consider later down the line. One more question would i be better going for a ff or df xxls400 placement within reason can be anywhere in the room (i.e it will not be forced to go into the corner of the room).

Once again many thanks.

Hi the setup is used for roughly a 50/50 split leaning slightly more towards movies lately. Max budget for everything will be no more than £2000 plus whatever i can recoup from selling the components i no longer require.

Hi the setup is used for roughly a 50/50 split leaning slightly more towards movies lately. Max budget for everything will be no more than £2000 plus whatever i can recoup from selling the components i no longer require.
Are you looking to buy brand new items or happy with second hand market. Which may offer better value for money, albeit the trade off being lack of warranty?

If music is an important part of your setup I'd look at Marantz over Denon. They are made by the same company and share similar components, but the Marantz is considered the more musically capable of the two. But no AVR is going to be as good at 2ch music as a dedicated integrated stereo amp. Combining the 2 is possible (I do it myself), but gets expensive.

Re DF/FF subs... There will be no technical or audible difference between the 2. Many people with kids/pets opt for DF subs as the driver is protected (being underneath) from little fingers and claws etc. They also look more like furniture as they have no visible grills.

If 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 (2 pairs of heights) then X3700H/SR6015 is required. It would also come with better room correction with dual sub eq, ability to add integrated/power amp later on, small bump in power and 11.2 processing (7.2.4). You should wait until summer as the price is ridiculous now, higher than when the model came to shops. Week ago it was 999£ for Denon, now back at 1100£. 1090£ for Marantz. Rarely we see Denon being more expensive. However if you buy it together with speakers you should get better price! Some dealers gives 2year normal warranty for Denon and PT/RS gives 6years.

Example if you buy MA speakers and X3700H separate they would cost 2488£, but bought together as bundle the price would be 1849£ so fairly good savings.

With Marantz SR6015 which is nearly identical to X3700H costs bit more, but i think lower price could be possible as i`m not sure how often PT updates these. Naturally you would also remove the W10 subwoofer.

Have you considered the new SVS SB1000 Pro over XXLS400 if you are looking sealed woofer? You should get roughly 10% AVF member discount pushing the SVS price quite close to BK. SVS would offer better performance, smaller cab size, longer warranty and phone app control.

Once again thank you for the input, 2nd hand equipment would be an option i am willing to consider, i was pipped to the post with regards a xxls400 this week on this site :( so am hoping one will come up for sale again at some point soon.

Used subwoofer quite risky without warranty. BK has had some buzzing amps, although repairs should be cheap (below 100£).

Yamaha V679 should be fairly easy to sell as not too old with 4K HDCP 2.2 (4:4:4) connections etc. People asking 170-250£ from V677 so you will get decent price for this one. Denon X2700H would be same level machine with just newer connections and few new feature so not really acceptable in my books, but if you go with the two higher models then you do get bit more for your hard earned bucks.

@Gasp3621

Is it worth buying new with the bk subs if possible then?
Yep definitely imo. The price difference between new & second hand BK's isn't much.

I'd actually buy any sub new over 2nd hand personally. 2nd hand passive speakers are fine. But I'd want a warranty with a sub to cover the amp plate blowing etc.

Hi i have sourced a BK xxls400 d.f subwoofer at a good price picking it up tonight 🙂
If you need help to set it up & eq it into your setup. Feel free to pm/message me. You'll need your AVR's calibration mic handy 👍🏼

Thats great thank you.
No worries mate. I'm also happy to talk you through getting great 2ch music & Home Theatre system combined. There are various options open to you - depending on budget etc. If you look at my signature, I use a Audiolab 6000A that powers my front stereo speakers in my HT setup and the same speakers can be used for all 2ch sources (connected to the Audiolab 6000A). Sounds complicated, but really isn't 😂

Hi all, i have simulated the new room size after alterations on REW software please could you advise if i need to alter any settings or parameters? I am new to all this and pretty much a noob.

Thanks in advance once again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210506-211454_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210506-211454_Gallery.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi all, i have simulated the new room size after alterations on REW software please could you advise if i need to alter any settings or parameters? I am new to all this and pretty much a noob.

Thanks in advance once again
Change the crossover in the simulation from 80Hz to 120Hz.

As an aside. Have you set up your new sub yet. Or are you using the simulation in REW to help find best placement(s) for said sub?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom