Upgrade dilemma - receiver or speakers

xit2050

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V540RDS receiver (specifications can be found here) that obviously doesn't decode HD audio.
I'm thinking of replacing it and I'm hesitating between the Yamaha RX-V467 or the Onkyo TX-SR508.

Would either one of these be a real upgrade compared to my current receiver (apart from the HD audio part)? In other words, would I have better overall audio with a new one or would I need to look at higher end models to surpass my current receiver?

Additional question: my current speaker set-up consists of 5 speakers (Eltax Concept 400 fronts and Eltax Symphony center/rears, no sub). Which would give me better overall sound? Replacing the receiver (and benefit from HD audio when watching blu-rays) or replacing the speakers and do without HD audio.
Speaker sets I've been looking at: Jamo S426 HCS3, Jamo S 606 HCS 3 and Teufel Concept R 2.

I really need your advice, I've been reading and looking for weeks and I'm stuck.

Edit: almost forgot, I don't need things to go 'boom' and don't want my neighbours to hate me; I'm just looking for a good sound.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would suggest probably upgrading the reciever first. This is because not only would you get the improved sound from HD audio but also the benefit of the extra features i.e. routing all your HDMIs etc to the AVR and then one HDMI to the TV. Also AVR technology moves much quicker than speaker technology hence a good speaker a few years ago will still be a good speaker no (compared to newer models) but an AVR of the same age will be looking well past its sell by date against newer models.
I would make sure you demo the Onkyo first before buying. This is because it has a different sound presentation (bright compared to the warm sound of your current Yamaha) hence it may not be to your taste or work well with your current speakers.

xit2050

Thanks PSM1.
I know about the sound difference between the Yamaha and Onkyo and am therefore leaning towards the v467 because I like the warm sound of my current receiver.
Do you know whether the v467 is in the same league as my v540rds or is it better (regardless of the new features, just overall audio quality)?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I think, Yamaha keep to the same numbering methods, so the current version of you amp would be the 567.

The irony is, that Yamaha have knocked £100 off the higher level 667 for current stocks and this makes it cheaper than the 567!

You can currently get the 667 for £350, so that would be the best option if you have the budget IMHO.

xit2050

The irony is, that Yamaha have knocked £100 off the higher level 667 for current stocks and this makes it cheaper than the 567!

I've seen that promotion mentioned on the forum. Unfortunately, I'm from Belgium and no sign of such a deal over here. :(

So, you think the v467 is actually lower-end than my current receiver?

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
So, you think the v467 is actually lower-end than my current receiver?

Yes, I remember someone posting about another older Yamaha reciever and i found a dealer that still had the old model listed, but linked to the newer version and each time as you went to the newer model, it still kept the series level, i.e. '5' in your case, so i think the 567 would be the equivalent replacment and the 467 a lower model.

xit2050

Yes, I remember someone posting about another older Yamaha reciever and i found a dealer that still had the old model listed, but linked to the newer version and each time as you went to the newer model, it still kept the series level, i.e. '5' in your case, so i think the 567 would be the equivalent replacment and the 467 a lower model.

I've been looking at the differences between the v467 and v567 and I don't seem to find much... (Comparison Chart:RX-V567,RX-V467 - AV Receivers/Amplifiers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha UK and Ireland).
The v567 has 7.1 (but I don't need that) and it has analog to HDMI upscaling (which I don't need either). It also has an OSD menu, which is nice but not essential.
That's about it... For the rest, they look identical. So what makes the v567 superior over the v467 sound-wise? Does it have better components?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at the differences between the v467 and v567 and I don't seem to find much... (Comparison Chart:RX-V567,RX-V467 - AV Receivers/Amplifiers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha UK and Ireland).
The v567 has 7.1 (but I don't need that) and it has analog to HDMI upscaling (which I don't need either). It also has an OSD menu, which is nice but not essential.
That's about it... For the rest, they look identical. So what makes the v567 superior over the v467 sound-wise? Does it have better components?

The 467 is actually the better in terms of power and it is only the features you mention that warrants the 567's higher price. I would suggest you look at the RXV667 though, considering that the RXV667 is actually now cheaper than the lesser 567 due to Yamaha's recent special offer on the RXV667.

The RXV667 surpasses both the RXV567 and the 467 and will provide quite a bump up as far as dynamic power is concerned.

xit2050

I would suggest you look at the RXV667 though, considering that the RXV667 is actually now cheaper than the lesser 567 due to Yamaha's recent special offer on the RXV667.

The RXV667 surpasses both the RXV567 and the 467 and will provide quite a bump up as far as dynamic power is concerned.

I know, but as I said a few posts higher I'm from Belgium and no promotion on the 667 here...

dante01

Distinguished Member
I know, but as I said a few posts higher I'm from Belgium and no promotion on the 667 here...

Sorry. I was being lazy and hadn't read your post :oops:

In that case, if you don't need 7.1 or the other features of the RXV567 then the 467 is the better amp ;)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The 467 is actually the better in terms of power .

That's interesting; I hadn't noticed that.

Video upconversion and an On Screen menu would definitely be requirments for me, but as they are of no interest to xit2050, he may as well save some money!

xit2050

That's interesting; I hadn't noticed that.

Actually, I've read they use identical power sources, but with the 467 it is used for 5.1 speakers and with the 567 for a 7.1 system.

goneagain

Standard Member

Be Quick, these guys look like they deliver to Europe.

Yamaha RX-V667 - Black Audio / Video Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

I recently bought a Sony STR DA2400 off amazon (seller was amazon), and had it shipped to Czech Republic. It looks like it was actually shipped from Germany. Only had to source a European power lead.

Just worth checking their returns policy and Yamaha's warranty policy.

Sony's is that you can take a defective unit to the local Sony distributer.

Price may vary slightly, as VAT will be at your local rate.

OOPS didn't read your last post!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom