Upgrade dilemma for 9 year old Desktop

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi
I have a 9 year old HP Pavilion desktop which is perfectly adequate for my needs. It was top of range at time of purchase.
Problem is it runs Windows 7.
I really like Win 7 It is fast to the point and easy to use and I have never had a problem with it.
The obvious answer is upgrade it to Windows 10 but I hate Windows 10. My wifes HP pavilion laptop runs it and it is a pain to use and can never find detailed settings and it is slow. Also I cannot find a way to stop software updates that only seem to make the things more difficult to use and switch off facilities that are useful.
So question is Do I upgrade and put up with it
Or do I wait and see what Windows 11 is like
Or can I continue to use win 7 safely by using good Firewall and security s/w. if so what?
Cannot see any advantage in buying new but am willing to consider it.
Any observations welcome.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Windows 10 isn't slow, if the laptop isn't performing well that's a system specific issue (is it one of those budget models with tiny amounts of storage or memory?).

Windows versions have always had interface and feature changes with major updates. Obviously Windows 7 hasn't had any in years because it's so old, and I'd expect Windows 10 to change less now that Windows 11 is out.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Windows 10 isn't slow, if the laptop isn't performing well that's a system specific issue (is it one of those budget models with tiny amounts of storage or memory?).

Windows versions have always had interface and feature changes with major updates. Obviously Windows 7 hasn't had any in years because it's so old, and I'd expect Windows 10 to change less now that Windows 11 is out.
Hi thanks for reply. Wifes HP laptop was top of the range Pavillion 17" laptop when bought in 2017. It has always been slower than my HP desktop. It has had one windows 10 professional re-install in attempt to speed up. Its not just the speed of windows 10 that I do not like it is the obscurity of settings and the update changes to the user interface. Every time there is an update my wife screams whats this? where has this gone? why do I get a different window? etc. etc. I then have to spend several hours trying to sort this. I have even had to resort to system restore to get back to the user interface versions she is used to.
Hopefully this will end now that Win 11 is around but again as I see no reason other than security to update from Win 7 then there will be no reason likewise for my wife to update to win 11 or buy a new Win 11 laptop??
BTW 2 IT professionals I know (both working in cyber security for large companies) reckon Win 7 is/ was best version of Windows.
Also in the many years of using Win 7 I have never had updates that changed the UI or access to settings.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi thanks for reply. Wifes HP laptop was top of the range Pavillion 17" laptop when bought in 2017. It has always been slower than my HP desktop. It has had one windows 10 professional re-install in attempt to speed up. Its not just the speed of windows 10 that I do not like it is the obscurity of settings and the update changes to the user interface. Every time there is an update my wife screams whats this? where has this gone? why do I get a different window? etc. etc. I then have to spend several hours trying to sort this. I have even had to resort to system restore to get back to the user interface versions she is used to.
Hopefully this will end now that Win 11 is around but again as I see no reason other than security to update from Win 7 then there will be no reason likewise for my wife to update to win 11 or buy a new Win 11 laptop??
BTW 2 IT professionals I know (both working in cyber security for large companies) reckon Win 7 is/ was best version of Windows.
Also in the many years of using Win 7 I have never had updates that changed the UI or access to settings.

It's not uncommon for commercial laptops to be bundled with all sorts of software that slows them down, doing a restore does nothing as its baked into the laptops rescue image.

What you must do is a clean install of windows 10 by creating the install media from a USB drive then booting from that USB drive and erasing all of the partitions on the internal SSD drive. This results in a standard windows install without the OEM (HP) customizations.

(If your PC's dont have SSD's but older HDDs that will make win 10 or win 11 feel very slow)

It sounds like your accustomed to the old windows interface which was steadily being phased out through the life cycle of win 10 and is almost completely gone in win 11.

Present day windows is not a static operating system like windows of the past (were updates were security only), it will always have updates that alter the interface here and there though MS has now changed its major update policy from 2 updates to 1 per year.

Further major UI changes on win 10 are unlikely given that win 11 is now on the market so win 10 could stay mostly the same just with security updates.

Options
Win 7 is an obsolete operating system though you can still choose to use it with the associated risks, firewall and use decent web browser with more protections like Vivaldi or Brave.

Clean Install Windows 10 and use Stardocks Windowblinds to skin the interface like Windows 7 though this wont restore the UI parts that have been removed.

Move to a Linux OS were there UI rarely ever changes, no need to buy a new PC your existing ones are sufficient but some learning will be required, can give more details if interested.

Last edited:

JollyJamma

Hi thanks for reply. Wifes HP laptop was top of the range Pavillion 17" laptop when bought in 2017.

Does it have 4 or 8 gigs of RAM? Chances are that it needs more RAM as it's probably got all the bloatware that was installed with it when you got it.

I would say that the sweet spot for Windows 10 is between 8 and 16gigs of RAM for medium to intense work case. 8gigs is fine if you're not doing too much with it (no Photoshop for instance).

People will say you don't need 16gigs of RAM but it's a cheap upgrade now and makes a huge difference.

Open task manager and look at the RAM usage and which apps are chowing resources.

You can use O&O ShutUp10 to stop the laptop updating and stop a lot of the background data sharing by Windows. O&O ShutUp10++: Free antispy tool for Windows 10 and 11

I use Thisiswin11 to remove all of the junk that Win 11 comes with and stop all of the background data collection by Microsoft. GitHub - builtbybel/ThisIsWin11: The real PowerToys for Windows 11

AS for your desktop, what are the specs as well? Does it have an SSD? Do both the laptop and desktop have an SSD installed?

I love the Windows 11 interface and I think your wife will too. I would address the lack of resources first though.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom