Upgrade components help please.

JimboSE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a couple of queries and just need a bit of help if I may, I have been gifted an HP Pavillion slimline S5535 desktop, now it's only got an i3 dual core CPU which I can upgrade to an i5 quad core cheap on ebay and will upgrade from the 2gb of ram to 8gb or 16gb, its apparently running Win7 Home Premium which I can upgrade too.
Now the big question is I would like to install a graphics card so I can play the odd game, well World of Warcraft if I'm honest.
Its only going going to be used for the kids homework and WoW so can anyone recommend a graphics card that will fit in this tiny box as I'm a bit stumped if I'm honest,also from what I can make out there is no extra power leads coming off of the psu so I assume it will need to be a graphics card that runs off the motherboard if even a thing exists.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Kindest Regards
Jim

From the pics it looks like it is limited to half length cards but it does have room for double height cooler so you are not limited to the lowest end low profile cards.

This GeForce GTX 1050Ti should fit, half length in size and I think should be okay for WoW along with the built in PSU, a more expensive GeForce GTX 1660Ti if you want more performance but not sure about the PSU as the GPU does have external connector for power. There are adapters you can buy to turn the regular PSU connectors into the GPU connector assuming the PSU has enough power to feed it.

Last edited:
Looking at the service manual it appears the case only takes half height/low profile cards, although it does have a double bracket.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01835166

The low profile RX 550s and RX 560 seem to be out of stock or at silly prices - likely as they're going to be replaced in a few months so you're probably looking at either a GT 1030 GDDR5 or GTX 1650. Avoid the DDR4 version of the GT1030.

Thanks for all your help everyone and I shall have a look at those cards, are they fed by power from the motherboard do you know

Thanks for all your help everyone and I shall have a look at those cards, are they fed by power from the motherboard do you know

All cards pull power from the motherboard, the power connectors are for cards that pull more power than the motherboard can provide.

Unfortunately the focus of the desktop market these days is on extremely power hungry cards so a lot of them do require more than the already substantial amount of power the motherboard provides.

I believe all GTX 1660tis require extra power, and some GTX 1050ti and GTX 1650s do. Not many, if any, GT 1030s do. Generally low profile cards are less likely to require it than full height cards because the reduced size cooling system already has plenty to cope with without pushing further power through them.

Neither of the two cards next010 linked are low profile, so if that is what your case requires they won't fit. I doubt there are any low profile GTX 1660ti models.

There's no sign of a low profile bracket in the photos so I'd verify with the seller it actually comes with it.

A fanless design also isn't ideal for a small form factor but your case is big enough and has a fan in the bottom corner that you should be able to get away with it, it doesn't matter if it throttles a little.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi all

Thanks again so much for your help and I did indeed go with a Gigabyte GT1030 2gb low profile,it all fits and is running and I can now play WoW which I am super happy about.
Thanks again for your help it so very much appreciated.

James

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom