Upgrade ceiling speakers or something else?

smarty

I'll (hopefully) be moving to a new house soon which has the TV connections in one corner of the lounge with in-ceiling speakers. The centre and fronts are placed in the corner further into the room than the tv (as you'd expect) and the surrounds either side of where the sofa would go against the rear wall.
These will be used purely for 5.1 sound and not stereo music reproduction. I have an Arcam AVR300 AV amp that will power everything.
I think the in-ceiling speakers are the cheaper KEF ones but not sure until we get in there.
However, whilst I like the idea of the in-ceiling speakers I'm not sure they'll be to the quality I'm used to (currently have KEF iQ7 fronts and matching centre and rears plus REL Q150 sub).
Question is, do I upgrade the in-ceiling speakers to better ones or is there another solution? I don't want to run new cables. I was looking at the Q Acoustics Q-AV speakers and thought that for the fronts this would be an ideal solution but don't know how good they are and whether that's a better/more cost effective solution or not. Also, could I use these just for the fronts and continue using the rear in-ceiling speakers or will there be a sound mismatch?
All comments gratefully received. Thanks.

nabby

Distinguished Member
I'll (hopefully) be moving to a new house soon which has the TV connections in one corner of the lounge with in-ceiling speakers. The centre and fronts are placed in the corner further into the room than the tv (as you'd expect) and the surrounds either side of where the sofa would go against the rear wall.
These will be used purely for 5.1 sound and not stereo music reproduction. I have an Arcam AVR300 AV amp that will power everything.
I think the in-ceiling speakers are the cheaper KEF ones but not sure until we get in there.
However, whilst I like the idea of the in-ceiling speakers I'm not sure they'll be to the quality I'm used to (currently have KEF iQ7 fronts and matching centre and rears plus REL Q150 sub).
Question is, do I upgrade the in-ceiling speakers to better ones or is there another solution? I don't want to run new cables. I was looking at the Q Acoustics Q-AV speakers and thought that for the fronts this would be an ideal solution but don't know how good they are and whether that's a better/more cost effective solution or not. Also, could I use these just for the fronts and continue using the rear in-ceiling speakers or will there be a sound mismatch?
All comments gratefully received. Thanks.

First check what speakers are there and the sizes of the cutouts.

In terms of sound quality, there are some pretty good in-ceiling speakers from B&W, NHT and Speakercraft. However, I don't think that for music they would come close to floor-standers. I personally really like the sound quality from NHT's in-ceiling range.

Could you keep your existing KEFs for stereo music and use the in-ceiling speakers for 5.1?

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Using the KEF rear in-ceilings and bringing in your IQ7 and centre would work fine IMO. Just means a bunch of extra speakers in the ceiling or a bit of filling to do!!!

The obvious problem with ceiling speakers is direction/placement. KEF and Speakercraft (and others) have nice motorised solutions that come down when you need them, but you would need to wire in trigger wiring so not an option I guess. Many brands have deep LCR speakers where within the unit the speaker is angled to face in about 30deg. Really brings in the difference from using in-ceiling to freestanding.

smarty

Sorry, probably wasn't being very clear. I will not be using the iQ7s and centre for the 5.1 due to the position of the TV and doors etc. The current owner has the TV on a swivel bracket off to one side of the large brick fireplace. I can put the iQ7s either side of the fireplace but then they wouldn't be either side of the TV. Therefore I will only use the iQ7s for stereo (CD etc) playback where they will be in the ideal position.
That's why I'm thinking of the soundbar type thing from Q Acoustics for the front 3 speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom