Upgrade CD72T to CD192 - Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by innercry, Mar 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. innercry

innercry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive had my CD72T for about 4 years now and am wanting to improve my music listening. Would it be worthwhile having the CD player upgraded to the 193, in the sense that, would there be a significant difference in the sound quality. Im looking for something that suits metal and classical and would work well with my rotel set-up. Any suggestions?

I recently upgraded the mains cable to a Russ Andrews which ipmroved the sound no end but now I want a more significant improvement! Im greedy I know!

2. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Does enyone know what the costs are to upgrade a CD72/3 to CD193 'vs' just buying a new CD193?
    Eny links would be most helpfull,
    Thanks
    Will.

3. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think you mean the CD192 rather than CD193?

If so, it costs £500 from a CD72/73 or 82. I'm having mine 'done' next week after auditioning the CD192 against my CD82 at the weekend :)

4. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes CD192,
    thanks,
    Will.

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    When I was looking to upgrade my CD72T I borrowed a CD192 and there was an improvement but not enough to warrant the cost, in the end I went for a Meridian 507 which was a definate upgrade and a lot cheaper when bought used than a 192.

6. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Understand where you're coming from, cheapskate. If I was to put a case for the upgrade, then in theory you're getting the equivalent of a very good £850 player for a £500 outlay. I believe the upgrade also comes with at least a 1 year warrantee(?).

There's also the benefit of if and when you upgrade again, you're selling a recent model as second hand rather than an obselete model second hand, so may get more of your investment back.

This all counts for nothing if you don't rate the CD192 as a decent player in the first place of course ;-)

7. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Does it matter really if he call it 192 or 193 ?
    Ofcourse you understod what he ment, wiseguy !
    Sounds like youre 15-20.

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    MOD COMMENT : I'm sure that's not what he meant, and it's an easy mistake to make. After all the 2 and 3 are next to each other :smashin: Lets leave it at that please.

Thanks

Andy

9. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, sorry !

10. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I recently asked a local dealer about this upgrade (73 to 192), and as he was scrabbling arround looking through his price list I was looking over his shoulder.

He quoted £500 to upgrade the player (as stated above), but as he pointed to the column on the price list, I looked at the column next to it. The one marker "Trade Price".

The Trade price for the upgrade was stated at £250!

So basically, the dealer gets £250 for doing sweet FA.

Needless to say, I made my excuses and left the shop. When I got home, I bought a second hand 192 off of fleabay for just a shade more than the upgrade cost. :clap:

11. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yea its pretty disgusting.
    I actully stated something similar about SVS subs in the Subwoofer section and had my posts swiftly removed, just for pointing out people were being ripped big on these subs.Enyway i don't think there are to many naive people here who think the costs of Arcam or eny other Hi-Fi manufacture sells at just above cost, i mean come on, they all make there products in China.
    Will.

I actully just assumed there would be a CD193 as there is a CD73 (fromCD72).

12. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, that's what I thought. Without doing a detailed study of Arcam's back catalogue I didn't want to give advice on the CD192 when you're referring to another product entirely. :smashin:

It makes sense that the dealer is compensated for selling the upgrade rather than another product on their shop floor, but an almost 50% markup!? Out of interest, has anybody had any success in negotiating a discount for an internal upgrade?

13. Tharksha

Tharksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    There is a significant different between arcam cd 72 to 192. It is not worth spending 500£ for for 4 year old arcam cd 72 for un upgrade. You can sell this for 150£ in the ebay/ av forum and buy a cd192 for 750£. Then you are getting a new player with 2 years waranty.