UPGRADE CD PLAYER OR NOT WORTH IT? opinions please....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sparkymarky, Oct 30, 2004.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I presently have a kenwood dp-5040 cd player. Old i know although i'm told that in its day it wasnt a bad cd player costing around £250.
    Now i don't know much about it it says it has a 1 bit dual d/a converter??????

My question is this. Is it worth upgrading to say a second hand arcam/nad or new marantz as i will still be using my Yamaha av amp (rxv 795). Will using this amp instead of a stereo amp negate any upgrade benefit of buying an arcam amp????? I.e will it still not sound very good due to using an av amp??

thanks anyone!!!!

2. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    please anyone???

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    right have been to look at a nad c521bee today and reserved it.

Would this purchase be a worthwhile upgrade with an av amp??

Also the remote for it is very cheap looking and feeling. The buttons are very loose and plasticy which move about considerably in the remote. (like you get with a cheap 14" portable). Anyone else have any input on this??

Only got til tomorrow to make up my mind!!!!

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say that a better CD player will definitely be worth it, especially as you're going to buy a separate amp.

My integrated stereo amp was the best hi-fi upgrade that I've bought. It adds so much to my music and movies.

The mission m72s are nice if you like them (which I did) but you can get much better speakers. Just bear that in mind...

5. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Whilst it is a worthwhile upgrade, I would listen to a few more models with your preffered listening material. Pair the cd player up with which ever stereo amp you decide to purchase along with the speakers you have. Demoing is the key you may even find you extending your budget, one more point second equipment is very good way of getting some decent equipment.

6. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks for the replies guys.

However, i think you may have misread the post. I wont be purchasing an extra stereo amp, i'll be sticking with the yam av amp, and was wondering whether upgrading the cd player alone will be of benefit. Or will the amp hamper it so much thats not worth buying it????????

If not then i will stick with the crappy old kenwood and put the cash to something else.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sparky,
    It's a good idea to upgrade your source (CD) first. Adding another amp or different speakers won't really improve the music if the music isn't there in the first place.
    I agree with Supra, Demoing and Second hand are good ways of getting a lot more music for your money.

8. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    ok, again thanks for the input. I was considering a dac and use the crappy kenwood as a transport but the pick up lens isn't too hot with a lot of cds as it is and won't play them so i think a whole new cdp is worth it.

9. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    well if the kenwoods on its way out then get another one, but I certainly would have replaced the speakers long before the cdp had the cdp been healthy. You can squeeze quite a bit more out of the Yam '795 before that becomes the weakest link, and even so, you can look at adding external power amplifiers...

10. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sparky

Definitely worth upgrading your cd player IMHO. Demo and get a decent 2nd hand player rather than a brand new budget player. Arcam, Exposure, or Nad with a decent interconnect are worth considering. I am sure you will get some sound improvement over your old Kenwood though using your current av amp.

Regarding a remote of NAD 521BEE I believe it is the same one for the partner amp 320BEE which a friend of mine bought. After a month later the remote was dead. So I am not sure of its reliability.

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Agreed. You can get an Arcam 8SE or even one of the new DIVAs for around £250 if you look around. The NAD mid market players also crop up on ebay for around the same price.

I wouldnt go for a DAC with the Kenwood. They were nice budget machines, but the transport/pickups weren't the hottest! Plus with the machines age, and being a budget player, the bugs (faulty pickups, misalignment, etc) may start creeping in soon anyway.

I would look to get a new or improved front end, then upgrade the amp later as new, good quality AV amps don't cost the earth anymore.

12. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks guys.

Off to demo the nad521bee now. Priced at £180.

This is really the top of my budget i cant justify £250.

Will let you know how i get on.

cheers all.