Upgrade cartridge and pho no preamp to AT LP3

wate49

Novice Member
Dear all,
After spending some considerate time for a cartridge replacement for my AT lp3, I decided to get a Nagaoka MP-110 with so many good reviews. I also decided to get a phono pre-amp, the Schiit Mani, to connect between the AT LP3 and my Klipsch "the fives" powered speakers. I am so excited to have those added to my (novice) system. They haven't arrived yet. Do you think this is a good match? My next upgrade could be on the power amp and passive speakers in the range of USD 1000-1500. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Best,
Watee

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
The Mani is a superb match to the MP-110. I had them with my Rega P1 Performance Pack.

There's a load of reviews on YouTube and other user groups covering them - I doubt you'll be disappointed (though the LED on the front of the Mani is REALLY bright, so I covered mine.

I only ditched the Mani when I upgraded to a MC cartridge - it's MC performance wasn't as good as its MM, to my ears.

wate49

Novice Member
Dear BT Bob,
Are you using passive or active speakers? I am using Klipsch the Fives which are active (powered) speakers and an AT LP3 turntable which also has a built in pre-amp. I am still confused how to turn off the built in pre-amp on my turntable in order to use the Schiit Mani's and then connect to the powered speakers.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Page 5 of the manual, item 12. Switch it to Phono not aux.

With the turntable set to “phono” connect the turntable to the Mani input and the Mani output to the aux on the Klipsch. You will need a stereo rca to 3.5mm Jack cable from the Mani to the Klipsh, Amazon basics is fine for this.

For a moving magnet the Mani need to be set to Gain 1 = H, Gain 2 = L and 47k ohms. I f the volume is to loud or you get little volume control (i.e. small movements make big changes to volume) set the Gain to L, L.

Last edited:

wate49

Novice Member
Dear UGG19,
Thank you very much. This is very useful! On the back of Klipsch the Fives, there is a toggle switch next to the phono in (which is now set to "Line", please see photo). Can I use the same phono input cable instead of using the rca to 3.5 mm cable for the aux? If so, do I need to switch it to Phono instead of Line?

Attachments

• klipsch back.jpg
    klipsch back.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Yes that will do it as well. Needs to be on Line with the Mani otherwise you will get double pre-amplification and double the RIAA filter applied and so will not sound good at all.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Dear BT Bob,
Are you using passive or active speakers? I am using Klipsch the Fives which are active (powered) speakers and an AT LP3 turntable which also has a built in pre-amp. I am still confused how to turn off the built in pre-amp on my turntable in order to use the Schiit Mani's and then connect to the powered speakers.
Sorry for delay in replying (but I see your questions have been answered).

My phono amp goes into an Integrated amp (Cambridge Audio CXA61) and then driving passive speakers (Ophidian Mojo).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom