1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade-Cable-Information

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by docharry, Sep 7, 2004.

1. docharry

docharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I want to update my AV32 SP, but nothing works!

The 485 Converter is present, maybe the the problem is the right connecting with the wires, but I have no Information about this.

Has anybody here some schematics, the old forum doesnt exists, so I have to ask here.

I´m happy, when something receives me!

bye
    harry

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Do you use the original Tagtronic cable?? It's not a simple converter. Steve or John can tell you everything about it.

3. docharry

docharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Teejoo,

NOT the original Cable, its a Cat-5. Not only a converter, but other users work with a selfmade cable, how does this work?

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You need to build yourself an RJ45 plug that has a wire between pins 1 & 8. Put this in the "In" socket, while putting your RS485 adapter in the "Out". When you switch the AV on it should appear dead, this means it's in boot mode.

Tagtronic reprogramming assumes 4 wire mode (ie. separate RX & TX), however reprogramming an AV192R with RS232 needs a multant version of 2 wire mode to allow it to communicate with the micro on the RS232 card. Unless you buy the proper TAGtronic adapter it's highly unlikely this stage of reprogramming will work.

If in doubt buy/borrow/steal the proper adapter, it's a lot less hastle than trying to save a few $$ and use a generic RS485 adapter... imho :eek:)

5. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Stevesky is right - for the OP's AV32R SP a link plug and 3rd party RS232<>485 converter should work OK (Paton make a suitable device). Anyone with an AV32R DP or AV192R would be well advised to get a TAG (IAG?) adaptor.

For clarity, pins 1&8 are the two edge pins.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd second that, for the sake of a few quid (OK £70 odd) its not worth the effort to try and make your own, mind you having said that it is probably only worth having if you own a AV32R/DP or AV192R for the forseeable future (TMREQ duties) assuming all the other kit is running the latest software.