• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Upgrade BenQ W7500 Projector 📽

mindhunter

Standard Member
Hi :hiya:,

I’m looking to upgrade to a 4K projector and one that I can use for long periods, potentially watching 👁👃👁 up to 8 hours a day.

My budget is £5k and it needs to be placed on a rear shelf, roughly centered to a 120” matte white 1.1 gain screen about 5.2 meters away.

The only projector that I could find that fits my requirements is the JVC LX-NZ3 📽 .. does anyone know how it compares to the BenQ W7500 📽, in terms of noise, black levels, contrast etc. I assume it’s brighter & sharper than the BenQ (both in eco mode).

Are there any other options I should be considering?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Is the BenQ W7500 not a 1080P projector or am I thinking of another model?

In all honesty if your budget is £5K you might be able to get your hands on a B-stock JVC N5 which is a considerable step up from the other JVC on your radar but you could get an incredible image spending half your £5K budget and get yourself an Epson 9400, it will work perfectly with your 5.2M throw to screen and go plenty bright enough. The other benefit of the Epson is the bulb price isn’t bad at around £120 every 4-5000 hours.

mindhunter

Standard Member
Thanks for replying :smashin:

Yes, the BenQ W7500 is a 1080p projector which is part of my reason to upgrade. I prefer to avoid LCD projectors such as the Epson, due to potential dust blob issues, as I've had such an issue with an LCD projector some years ago and I've avoided them since.

As for the N5, I don't have a bat cave, so I wouldn't be taking full advantage of its deeper blacks, on the other hand I also like the idea of having a brighter projector for more pop and to hopefully handle HDR a bit better since it tends to darken the images, which makes me prefer the NZ3 over the N5.

However, thanks to your suggestion, it made look for some comparisons between the two, although I didn't find a comparison with the N5, I did find this positive comparison between the NZ3 and JVC NX7, which I believe is better than then BenQ W7500, so unless there's another better projector at this price point, I'm think I will go with the NZ3.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
There fair enough I’m sure if I suffered from dust blobs too I would be weary of LCD. It’s generally not an issue over this side of the pond and I reckon this is in part to do with the fact we have no need for air conditioning units which push the air about the room along with whatever dust there is.

The NZ3 is a laser so it’s going to be bright but overall quality will not be on par with the Epson 9400 never mind the N5 so if you are willing to stretch to the price of the N5 and are completely ruling out the Epson then the dearer JVC is in a different league.

mindhunter

Standard Member
What's your opinion on the review I linked to, since the NZ3 appears to compare favourably with the NX7, which I understand is a step up from the N5? e.g.

"Sharpness
Quite honestly, unless I do an A/B direct comparison with my native JVC NX7 projector at double the price and/or use a 1-pixel on/off burst pattern from my Murideo pattern generator, I can’t tell the difference between the two."

"Black Level
Black levels observed when playing back JVC 8K-mastered UHD Blu-ray is amazing. The inky blacks I experienced were below the black level of any projector below $12,000 I’ve ever observed."

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
DLP True 4K projector match the resolution of Native 4Ks but that isn’t where the NX7 blows it out of the water and it is why the Epson despite having half the pixel count also has a better image.

Ask on here to those that have seen the NZ3 beside the N5/7 and see if they agree with the review in your link.

mindhunter

Standard Member
Could you please point me in the right direction? I couldn't find anyone on this site that has appeared to have actually viewed the NZ3 alongside the N5/7?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
JVC N5.

If you can't afford/find one, then an Epson 9400 is the next best option if you want new.
If you don't mind second hand, then a JVC X7900.

I don't think you'll see one person on this forum recommending a NZ3.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Forget the N5, the NZ3 can't match the Epson

Take into account the N5 and Epson are in different classes contrast/black level wise, and the NZ3 looks below the 9400 in that video.

So N5 >>> 9400 >>> NZ3.

5k = JVC N5 (negotiate it down)
2.5k = Epson 9400 (likely can get it for 2.2k with some haggling)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom