Answered Upgrade AV?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by snig300, Aug 5, 2018.

1. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    just wondering if I need to upgrade my av to get the full benefits out of my new LG B7 tv, the av is a Denon 2309

AVR-2309.

Using an optical for sound out of the tv when watching the free view on the tv as don’t think I have the ark option? and hdmi for PS4 and blu-ray, got myself a bit confused with what processes the av does as aposed to the tv itself.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Khazul, Aug 5, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Best Answer
    A new(ish) AVR from about 2016 onwards should support pass-though of the 4K video standards that TV supports (UHD, and UHD with HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision) with as well as supporting HDMI ARC (audio return channel) connection for sound from the TV to the AVR.

I am using one of those TVs with a Yamaha RX-V781 which is a 2016 model. It support everything the TV does and world work with the latest 4K HDR/Dolby vision capable blu-ray players and similar sources. Similar era or later models from Marantz and Denon should be equally suitable.

4. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks....so does that mean I’m not getting 4K even when watching Netflix from the tv as it goes through the av?

5. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    When watching the TV from an internal app or other HDMI source connected directly to the TV the AVR has no impact on what you see - so 4K will be 4K.

6. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks again, sorry to be a pain but trying to get my head around this...so what part does the av play? Such as the one in your op, Dolby vision etc, if the tv takes care of the apps such as Netflix, I’m failing to see what’s left for an av to do apart from sound? Why the need for an av with Dolby vision etc

7. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    A program on netflix has two parts to it - the sound and the vision. The TV deals with what you see. The AVR deal with what you hear. It decodes a digital sound bitstream according to it format/metadata and works out how to present that sound across your available speakers connected to your AVR.

8. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Cheers, so at worse I’m not getting the best sound from my setup, but as long as I connect any visual media directing to the tv with an hdmi cable and an optical cable then the worst is the sound will be slightly affected.

9. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    The best that can be sent over an optical cable is dolby digital (not the newer dolby digital+). That is also the best (I think) that your current AVR can handle.

I assume you have a 5.1 setup, in which case dolby digital + over HDMI ARC isn't really going to add anything with that AVR. A later decent AVR that supports HDMI might do a decent downmix from 7.1 to 5.1, but realistically, you are not going to notice.

Dolby atmos from that needs dolby digital+ over HDMI ARC and of course an AVR that can deal with it along with at least a pair of height speakers, so I don't suppose you are bothered about that either :)

So yes - for now, just use the optical cable for audio and plug HDMI sources directly into the TV.

10. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thank you, good to hear, I’m not to far off then, the tv was expensive enough, add to that a new av, media player and ps4 pro, glad I can wait a bit Andy upgrade slowly. Can enjoy the tv for a bit first.