Question Upgrade AT LP5 turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Norwegian, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Norwegian

Norwegian
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been given a good deal (norwegian prices) on a Audio Technica AT-LP5 at £200,- and are wondering if it will be a good idea to upgrade with the Audio-Technica VM540ML/H Cartridge to £ 250,-
    or any other cartridge that will make the turntable sound even better.
    Should I use £ 500 on an other turntable or should I buy the LP5 and upgrade it?
    Any suggestions ?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Can you tell use what cartridge came with the Turntable?

The Audio Technica Cartridges are fine, and are quality based on price. The more you pay, within reason, the better you get. Though there are many other similarly priced cartridges to consider.

If you are considering upgrading the turntable to something better, then you have to ask if that new turntable comes with a cartridge upgrade. If it does, then you kill two birds with one stone.

Steve/bluewizard

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    I believe the cartridge that comes with the Turntable is the ATX95Ex, this is the current equivalent -

Audio Technica AT-VM95E Elliptical Stereo Cartridge - Superfi

These are viable upgrade options -

Audio-Technica VM520EB Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Elliptical Stylus

Audio-Technica VM540ML Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with MicroLine Stylus

The 540 might be a bit much, but likely the 520 is an upgrade.

There is also a 510 model -

Audio-Technica VM510CB Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Conical Stylus

Steve/bluewizard

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    As Steve says, the obvious upgrade is the VM540ML (VM540ML - Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with MicroLine™ stylus | Audio-Technica), but frankly, I don't really see the point in putting such an expensive head on the LP5 body. In other words, I concur with the idea of spending the full £500 on a single balanced solution.

If you have an integrated amplifier with a built in phono equalizer / amplifier, you could consider a "pure" TT, rather than one with an internal phono preamp and ADC (USB connectivity). Of course, if you need the phono preamp and USB output, that would not be an option.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    You sort of have to weigh the quality of the turntable against the quality of the New Cartridge. Is it worth putting a £240 Cartridge on a £250 Turntable. I think you would get an improvement with the AT 520 Cartridge at £99 -

Audio-Technica VM520EB Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Elliptical Stylus

Other Cartridges to consider -

Ortofon 2M Red Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

Goldring E3 Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

Audio Technica AT-VM95ML Microlinear Stereo Cartridge - Superfi

Audio-Technica VM530EN Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Elliptical Stylus

Ortofon 2M Blue Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

But whether that is enough for you, only you can decide. The LP5 does have a nice tonearm, so perhaps the 540 is justified, but again, that is a decision only you can make. For a £250 Turntable, another £250 for the Cartridge seems a bit excessive. Definitely upgrade, but perhaps to a cartridge at about Half the cost of the Turntable.

You can do what you want, but I think the Under £200 price range is a more practical range to be in.

But again, while that might be my decision, I can't say if it is the best decision for you, as I can't read your mind, and don't know your full priorities.

Steve/bluewizard