PJS76

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently have Samsung 40 inch nu7120 an emergency purchase a year ago when our other living room TV died on us. It has served us well and we have been impressed with it, the previous TV was not that great and old!

We are now on the look out for an upgrade to a bigger and better TV and the missus says it must have WOW factor!! The 40 inch will go in our new loft conversion bedroom. Here are some details for new TV requirements and location:
  1. Size 49-55 inch
  2. TV Sat in North facing lounge with back to bay window So not in bright direct light. Ceiling light with floor lamp, which may be on when viewing at night
  3. Sat about 8-9ft away most of time
  4. Will be connected to Sky Q, will watch Sky & Netflix movies and box sets, sports (football, cricket &golf) and general TV. Planning to watch more more HDR and 4k content.
  5. Budget up to £1000 perhaps a little more.
  6. Good colour accuracy, motion, and blacks for movies desirable.
  7. On short list Q70, Sony XG90/95, LG B8/9, C8/9, Sony AF8
After discussion with other half she said upgrade must be significantly better than what we have and when we sit down to watch make us go WOW!

Hoping for a black Friday bargain 😀

What do you suggest?

Paul

Sony XF9005 come black friday is your best bet. Maybe even the XG9505 if it comes down enough.

We will see what happens closer to the time, but if you want the very best picture accuracy, especially with HDR content you are best avoiding TVs like the Samsung QLEDs.

The LG B9 may also have questionable picture accuracy, I haven't actually seen it reviewed in Europe.

TVs like the Sony AF8 would be remarkable if they drop within your budget, especially if you like the idea of having good built in sound.

And the LG C9, well again if it drops near your budget, will also be a remarkable buy...as would the Panasonic GZ950.

One things for sure, I wouldn't consider going for a 49" model at all given your sources and viewing distance. More ideally 65". You should be able to get a 55" that can do everything you want well within budget and if you can't, well it will only be a matter of time when you can.

Currently have Samsung 40 inch nu7120 an emergency purchase a year ago when our other living room TV died on us. It has served us well and we have been impressed with it, the previous TV was not that great and old!

We are now on the look out for an upgrade to a bigger and better TV and the missus says it must have WOW factor!! The 40 inch will go in our new loft conversion bedroom. Here are some details for new TV requirements and location:
  1. Size 49-55 inch
  2. TV Sat in North facing lounge with back to bay window So not in bright direct light. Ceiling light with floor lamp, which may be on when viewing at night
  3. Sat about 8-9ft away most of time
  4. Will be connected to Sky Q, will watch Sky & Netflix movies and box sets, sports (football, cricket &golf) and general TV. Planning to watch more more HDR and 4k content.
  5. Budget up to £1000 perhaps a little more.
  6. Good colour accuracy, motion, and blacks for movies desirable.
  7. On short list Q70, Sony XG90/95, LG B8/9, C8/9, Sony AF8
After discussion with other half she said upgrade must be significantly better than what we have and when we sit down to watch make us go WOW!

Hoping for a black Friday bargain 😀

What do you suggest?

Paul

I've had the AF8 for eighteen months now and it still delivers the 'wow' factor.

In saying that, pretty much any OLED would - they're all great.

Thanks Dodge and Tim. The Sony certainly is a good TV it has good reviews but some state that blacks do not go very black and there is light bleed. The Q70 seemed to do better in those areas?

Thanks Dodge and Tim. The Sony certainly is a good TV it has good reviews but some state that blacks do not go very black and there is light bleed. The Q70 seemed to do better in those areas?
Every LCD suffers from these issues to a varying degree, you could buy two Sony's, or two Samsung's and place two of the same TVs next to each other and one may have worse uniformity than the next.

If you want the very best uniformity, go for an OLED.

What would be reasons for getting Sony over the Samsung Q70? Due to lounge dimensions it is looking like 49 inch is biggest I can go.

Not sure about the Samsung, but all I can say is that we got the Sony KD49XG9005 and it is brilliant. When I was looking for a 49" TV the general consensus appeared to be for the Sony. I think the bits that stood out for me were that the Sony handles motion better? It is a TV, so good motion has got to be the right up there before any other bells and whistles. We had a Samsung UE48H6400 previously and the picture quality and motion handling improvement is pretty apparent. Not that that is a reflection on the Samsung you mention.

Thanks Palexr, always good to hear from a user that trying to understand increasingly over technical reviews.

What would be reasons for getting Sony over the Samsung Q70? Due to lounge dimensions it is looking like 49 inch is biggest I can go.
If you are limited to sub 55" the Samsung Q70R has a worse overall spec than the Sony. It comes with only a 60hz panel at 49" compared to other sizes, so its motion is even worse. The plus is its smart TV platform.

The Sony by comparison has better motion, a 120hz panel and dolby vision HDR support which is boon for someone intending to use Netflix.

Thanks Dodge. Read today that it is likely a 48 inch oled is to be released next year, perhaps worth waiting for, but keen on getting a bigger TV for the lounge now then perhaps Oled 48 in a few years, when they are a bit cheaper (assuming they are quite expensive initially!). Perhaps it is worth dropping budget for a decent midrange TV; Panasonic GX800B, RU8000 or another alternative? Then saving for a 48 inch oled.

Thanks Dodge. Read today that it is likely a 48 inch oled is to be released next year, perhaps worth waiting for, but keen on getting a bigger TV for the lounge now then perhaps Oled 48 in a few years, when they are a bit cheaper (assuming they are quite expensive initially!). Perhaps it is worth dropping budget for a decent midrange TV; Panasonic GX800B, RU8000 or another alternative? Then saving for a 48 inch oled.
Depends how much HDR content you plan on using. Given like you say release pricing is going to be high its probable it will be at least a year after they are released that they will be reasonable, if not longer.

In that time if you are planning on watching HDR content, you won't be able to do so without trouble on most cheaper TVs.

The only exception to this would be the GX800. Whilst its HDR hardware is poor, it has a way to display HDR without the usual problems that other cheaper TVs do. Its HDR however will not be as impressive as more expensive TVs and its current cost is unjustifiably high in my opinion.

Any thoughts on high end Phillips LCD TVs?

Any thoughts on high end Phillips LCD TVs?
They don't make high end models like they used to. The 8 series which is the best you'll get from their LCD lineup is now a mid range model competing with TVs like the LG SM8500/SM8600 and Sony XG85xx series.

120hz IPS panel, good motion processing but poor motion and smart TV.

Lower than the 8 series there are some good value options if you want a budget model.

Philips like Panasonic reserve their high end TVs to OLEDs now.

They don't make high end models like they used to. The 8 series which is the best you'll get from their LCD lineup is now a mid range model competing with TVs like the LG SM8500/SM8600 and Sony XG85xx series.

120hz IPS panel, good motion processing but poor motion and smart TV.

Lower than the 8 series there are some good value options if you want a budget model.

Philips like Panasonic reserve their high end TVs to OLEDs now.

Heading back towards the 9005 or Q70 then if I can stretch to £900. Best of the bunch at 49 inches I guess

Upgraded from a Samsung UE48JU6400 to a Sony KD49XG9005. There is a definite WOW factor separating the two.

Last edited:
I'd avoid the Q70 personally. I was originally going to get a Q80/Q85/Q90 but the C9 picture quality blew them away.

Now I've had the C9 for a week I'm not that impressed, 95% of the time it's no better than my 12 year old kuro plasma.

As for the post above regarding the Samsung H6400 above, I have to agree. I've got 8 of them around the house and think they are great for the money (although no longer available)

Upgraded from a Samsung UE48JU6400 to a Sony KD49XG9005. There is a definite WOW factor spreading the two.
The picture, motion, HDR, blacks all good on your new sony? What's sound like?

Sony XF9005 come black friday is your best bet. Maybe even the XG9505 if it comes down enough.

We will see what happens closer to the time, but if you want the very best picture accuracy, especially with HDR content you are best avoiding TVs like the Samsung QLEDs.

The LG B9 may also have questionable picture accuracy, I haven't actually seen it reviewed in Europe.

TVs like the Sony AF8 would be remarkable if they drop within your budget, especially if you like the idea of having good built in sound.

And the LG C9, well again if it drops near your budget, will also be a remarkable buy...as would the Panasonic GZ950.

One things for sure, I wouldn't consider going for a 49" model at all given your sources and viewing distance. More ideally 65". You should be able to get a 55" that can do everything you want well within budget and if you can't, well it will only be a matter of time when you can.
My choices would be the
Panasonic 950B
Sony A8g
LG c9

The picture, motion, HDR, blacks all good on your new sony? What's sound like?
Hi, yes they all look really good. When I was looking on these forums for advice the one thing that struck me people were saying about the Sony XF/XG was that it handled motion really well. To me motion had to come top of the requirements for a TV and it really does. There's no judder, ghosting, or weird SOE. HDR and Black's all look really good too.

Sound? It is a flat screen so haven't really tried it without a soundbar but ok as far as it goes I guess.

Last edited:
I have been pondering my buy. Had my eyes on a Sony 49xg9005 especially at it is now £799 but keep getting drawn to oleds! In JL yesterday I was impressed with the 55 inch Panasonic 950. Would it be good for my needs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom