Upgrade Ancient Sony

Strat202

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Sony Bravia 40U3000, and it's time for it to go.

My main source is my Xbox One - streaming Netflix, Prime, Iplayer, and other catch up apps. Unfortunately the Bravia limits me to 720p from the Xbox, so since it's nearly black Friday, I've been looking for an upgrade. I watch a lot of sports, and while I don't have any immediate plans to get SkyQ or a next gen console, I would say an upgraded source will happen in the next year or two.

Based on the very useful guides I've read here, I'm looking for an IPS panel, 43" - 50". One other thing I would like is Freeview Play or similar so I can get HD ITV / 4 live via the internet - my aerial reception seems to be very dodgy and the Sony loses terrestrial channels on a regular basis.

Budget is around 500 quid - though from what I've read, tvs like the LG Nano that are at the top of that range aren't necessarily worth it? A few TV's I've considered:
  • Sony 49" XH8096 (479 refurb)
  • LG 50" UN8100 (449 new)
  • Sony 43" XG8305 (449 refurb)
  • LG 50" Nano 796 (479 new)
Are these really worth it compared with the entry level 300 pound - 400 pound tvs?

Thanks in advance!

Much obliged, I'd completely missed that! If they are the best value in terms of my other requirements, I can make VA work as my viewing is typically 20*.

the 50 inch ones are VA and will be Narrow so best to get any LG 49 inch IPS I say but do not buy 50 inch unless you want better blacks.
go with the Sony 49" XH8096 in the list.

There's 49" models from LG using IPS panels.
50" of any brand is VA.

Freeview play is just an app that integrates all catch up apps into the EPG. It won't help you get a better signal or anything.

Sony have youview, but freeview play promised in the future. These are EPG apps that integrate catch up TV, they won't help you get a signal.

Beware that the LG 2020 models don't have all the UK catch up apps, only iPlayer.

All the best buy 2020 models are here:

If you want to try and save some money on a 2019 refurb, the 43XG83 is a higher spec TV than the others and well priced. It uses a 120hz panel which is usually unheard of at smaller sizes. Its motion will therefore be better.

Thank you!

I thought freeview play was live tv delivered over the internet? So it meant you didn't need an aerial - sounds like I've misunderstood

No the Freeview play/Youview apps are EPG apps, so they replace the guide where you see all the now and next programme information. You can use them to launch said catch up apps directly.
For example, you miss an episode you want to watch on regular TV by a couple of hours. You open the Freeview Play EPG and can scroll back in time to watch that missed programme. You click on it and it launches the catch up app for that show separately and directs you to the exact programme.

What it doesn't do is replace Freeview itself, and it can't be used if you can't tune into a channel.

What you can still do is access other apps individually to play back channels over the internet.

Typically LG TVs have always had Freeview play but in 2020 they dumped the app/license so they only have iPlayer separately right now.

Sony TVs have Youview which is a different take on the same thing. They do however have all the catch up apps.

Ok great, thank you for clarfiying!

I've seen a 49" XG83 for 525 GBP ex-display. Is that a good deal? Seems it to me as it's still got a 5 year warranty, but I can't find any 43" pricing for comparison

The 49" XG83 is a good TV but it uses a VA type panel not IPS unlike the 43" model. Its 120hz though. The £525 price and warranty is very good when you consider the replacement model in 2020 is currently selling for £700.

Hmm, given the value it is tempting. Is the 20* very much the limit? I could definitely angle the TV (and possibly the sofa) to get a few degrees closer to centre

You can only try it and see. Some people are happy being even 40 degrees off centre from a VA panel, some people notice picture quality get worse earlier than others.
The Sony's viewing angles will be similar to this:

Thank you, given the value, I have taken the plunge. This forum has been immensely helpful the last few days - thank you!

Hi Dodgexander I am frankly quite amazed at the lousy viewing angle exhibited by this IPS panel in the rtings.com video !? It appears to fall off significantly even at +/- 35 deg from centre.. Call me paranoid perhaps but I have a large printed protractor sited in front of my current 12 year old Panasonic IPS TV which I am hoping to replace? . Similar fall off occurs at over +/-60 deg off centre.
I have also noted similarly poor viewing angles on rtings.com on the Sony XH8100 TV.

TBH technology seems to be going backwards. At the time I bought the said Panasonic I am even sure that VA panels also had wider viewing angles than today's products? What has happened?

On this existing TV this afternoon I watched England v. Ireland on C4HD via VM cable - excellent HD video (commentary surprisingly not as good as Amazon Prime matches). However noticed that several ads in breaks were cinema wide screen with black bars above and below whilst not a totally dark room but as light faded one might describe the top bottom bars as a good test. Asked other half and adult son what these were - both said black. On pause I would give very very dark grey but on play not noticeable - importantly this result did not alter with video content.

Ridiculous I know but other than a bigger size and modern styling I do seriously wonder why I am contemplating replacement of my current TV?

@Boostrail the Sony TV is using a VA type panel in their test, not IPS. There models that use IPS still have good viewing angles.

Regarding VA panels of old and viewing angles on those panels now, well I'm not sure for certain but I do know where one panel has a weakness, it has a strength. So my guess is the HDR era has forced manufacturers to choose panels that have better black levels rather than viewing angles. HDR is probably the worst technology to have been introduced to LCD TVs demanding that the backlight of the TV is on full when being used. In the past when HDR wasn't a thing LCD TVs never had to worry about harnessing a lot of brightness quite the same that they do now.

There are still good and bad VA specimens for viewing angles, the TVs that have the worse viewing angles tend to have the best blacks. But none really reach the levels of IPS viewing angles. A compromise is always made somewhere.

I know we have talked about your TV previously, but if you don't see a problem with blacks on your current TV I don't think you'll see a problem with blacks on a new TV using an IPS panel either.

But yeah, if you are happy with your current TV and think so highly of it perhaps you should reconsider upgrading at all? A new TV is going to shine the most of new, high quality content. Watching broadcast TV on a new TV you aren't really getting much out of it. They will shine more with streaming services, new games consoles and UHD Blu-Rays.

Just to a note to say after having this TV for a couple of weeks it is fantastic. Thank you for the help!

Just to a note to say after having this TV for a couple of weeks it is fantastic. Thank you for the help!
Which model and size did you end up getting? 49XG8305?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom