We have:

Sky q hd
Netflix
Prime video
Disney hd

We use all as much as each other tbh, and very rarely watch sports

Sound is done via a sonos beam

Viewing distance is about 3.5m

Im wanting to spend around the £600 mark, now ive read the guides and seen a few say about the hisense having image blurr which i will pick up, so may annoy.

Ive seen the phillips on sale the 58"

And

I have also see a Samsung on sale, i see these get frowned upon though

I cant justify over £1000 for oled, so just wondering whats best,

Cheers jake

tvdavid

on your list, I would pick the Phillips 58 I would say

vickster

Distinguished Member
None of those unfortunately if you want usable HDR performance (other than the above Hisense which was being flogged at a reasonable price by Costco, maybe all gone)

Look at high tier for HDR performance (mid tier at a push)

jakewalsh

Yeah i was looking at that hisense, but its out of budget

One thing ive found is if i use disney through sky it doesnt trigger the hdr settings on my tv currently.

Cheers so far

Last edited:

jakewalsh

I could take a hit in size for better quality viewing

Theres this

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yep and the motion blur is probably less problematic if you don’t watch sport.
Can you buy from somewhere other than Currys though?

tvdavid

yes go for that 55 inch one

jakewalsh

Like anything the more you look the bigger the rabbit hole, i believe it has full local dimming too

Costco have it on sale too.

tvdavid

Lets us know how you like it when its set up.

jakewalsh

Tv has finally arrived

Atm im not sold on it, was expecting more of a wow factor, maybe its just that i dont have the settings dialed in

Dodgexander

Tv has finally arrived

Atm im not sold on it, was expecting more of a wow factor, maybe its just that i dont have the settings dialed in
Should just need to use cinema night, and then tweak motion settings. Make sure to disable fast startup in the tv's settings to avoid a bug where the motion settings don't stick after you've set them.

As with all 4k models, things like Sky HD aren't going to look great. Should be a different matter entirely with high quality content like UHD and HDR streams. Try to watch your sources in native 4k if you can.

jakewalsh

Hi,

Yeah i found that one out with a bit of googling, your right about sky, sky q hd still not amazing, think sky has always dumbes down its contents.

Ive been testing with things like the mandolorian thats where i saw the screen flickr. Thats gone since i took fast boot and enhanced hdmi off.

The brightness settings through me a tad as anything really over 50 makes the whole panel grey.

Really got me second guessing my purchase now,

I know i was looking at the Samsung UE65TU7020KXXU and i know it wouldn't be as good hdr, but would it give similar sky q viewing? @Dodgexander

Cheers jake

jakewalsh

Oh here it is in my room
20210818_193654.jpg

Dobbyisfree

Is that called a War of the Worlds lamp? 🤣

Dodgexander

I know i was looking at the Samsung UE65TU7020KXXU and i know it wouldn't be as good hdr, but would it give similar sky q viewing? @Dodgexander
It won't be better, its not until you reach the Samsung Q60T (Quantum Lite Processor 4k) and Q70T (Quantum Processor 4k) that they have dedicated picture processor chips.

Upscaling of the TV won't be used at all if you're using Sky Q with the UHD box, that'll handle taking the HD signal to 4k for you.

Some HDR is broken, Mandalorian and a lot of HDR shows are very subpar, you can see more on that here:

As for brightness, best not adjust that. It doesn't do the same thing as brightness used to do on TVs. Instead use the backlight setting. You won't want backlight very high for SDR, but for HDR it should be on 100.

Here's a good video on the settings:

What exactly were you expecting from the TV? And what is it that you aren't happy with compared to before?

Is there anything your old TV does better?

Are you watching the TV direct in front, or at an angle? The U8Q has very narrow viewing angles compared to your old TV, and will look washed out if watching from the side instead of directly in front.

jakewalsh

Thanks for the in depth reply,

Ive just put aladin on through Chromecast with google tv, image looks very pixelated, perhap im seeing the bad motion thing that people see?🤷

I did watch that second vid for settings, i dont know what i was i just presumed it would be a night and day difference from my old to new, viewing im sitting bang on infront.

Ive boxed it back up, im going to return it

Just put the same aladin on and the film looks better on the old lg, so not sure what thats about.

jakewalsh

I think im seeing the black smearing, old tv while cheaper doesnt do this. Granted blacks aint as good.

I presume the lg is an ips panel? Perhaps better suited to my eyes?

Im really unsure what to do now.

Dobbyisfree

Have you tried a less compressed video source, such as a UHD Blu-ray?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR