Upgrade amp, add sub, or what??

jamesy1969

Hi folks

*Longish, waffling post alert*

I've dipped my toe back into the AV waters recently (divorce previously having robbed me of my trusty DSPA3090, Def Tech's, Velodyne etc), picking up some cheap 2nd hand kit.

I'm currently using an old Sony CRT which is due to be replaced soon - almost certainly by a Panny P42G30 - a Yamaha DSP-V620RDS bought on here, and a set of Kef Crestas (fleabay bargain @ 28 squids for a pair of 2's, a pair of 1's and a Centre!). Sources are an XBMC'd (original) Xbox, Sky + box and a Panny DVD-S75.

Now, I've finally bitten the bullet today and listed some hifi kit on fleabay in order to give me some additional upgrade options. I expect c. £500.

With the telly being added soon, a Blu Ray player is a no-brainer, and I'm leaning toward an LG BD570 as, having gotten used to the Xbox as a media centre, I really want/need something that will stream from my home network.

This should leave around £300 for additional upgrades - potentially more as I'll also sell the DVD player, Xbox, Sky box(es) etc - and herein lies the question(s)!!

Would I get more value out of upgrading my amp to something more modern (read "with HDMI inputs") or should I stick with the Yammy, set the Blu Ray player to "DTS re-encode" and add a decent sub? (I realise that a decent sub at £300 isn't easy, but as you should have realised by now, I'm not averse to perusing the used market).

Also, if I do decide on updating the amp, which version of HDMI do I need to look for?? Having looked on Wiki, I'm guessing that 1.3 onwards should be a safe bet (I'm not really interested in 3D)?

I know that there are swings and roundabouts here and it ultimately comes down to personal preference, but I'd like a few opinions from folks who have actually kept up-to-date with the home cinema market!

Opinions, advice and derogatory posts of "Go and demo them and see what you think" all welcome :laugh:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A new HDMI reciever will give you HD audio and although this is an improvement over standard def sound it is not a massive step (more of an evolution with more detail and more immersive). If you can get an older reciever with multichannel inputs and a BD player with similar outputs then you could still get HD audio with older kit. Otherwise I suspect you will probably get a bigger improvement in sound quality by getting a better sub/speakers.

Wavod

This should leave around £300 for additional upgrades - potentially more as I'll also sell the DVD player, Xbox, Sky box(es) etc - and herein lies the question(s)!!

Would I get more value out of upgrading my amp to something more modern (read "with HDMI inputs") or should I stick with the Yammy, set the Blu Ray player to "DTS re-encode" and add a decent sub? (I realise that a decent sub at £300 isn't easy, but as you should have realised by now, I'm not averse to perusing the used market).

You can get a nice NEW Sub for your money from a great,well respected,British company here: Sub Woofers
Search around the Forums and you will find good reports.
I have plans to upgrade my KEF 30B Sub soon,and am very interested in this company.
Otherwise,if you are keen on keeping your amp, you could go for larger KEFs on the same well known auction site :thumbsup:

jamesy1969

Thanks both for your input!

Having now read enough on the whole "can you tell the difference" debate about HD audio, I think I'm going to leave it a little while before deciding on any more spends.

Once I've got the telly & BD player up and running, I'll then let good sense (I'll borrow some!) tell me if I need an audio update.

I know from experience that a good sub adds more than just low-end though so if I can convince the missus then I'll probably be leaning toward that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom