Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrade Alpha 7 to CD82?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Tarik, Nov 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Tarik

Tarik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm the owner of a Alpha 7 CD player bought in 1997. I am thinking of upgrading to the CD82. Has anyone made this upgrade? Is it worth upgrading (I believe there is no upgrade path after the CD82?)?

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tarik

There is no path beyond the 82 - the old option of going to ringDac (Alpha 9/CD92 etc has long gone due to parts availability). Try to get a demo of an 82 - back to back with the 7 in an A-B-A blind test. I think you might do better spending the £250 cost of the upgrade elsewhere on a second hand or ex dem kit perhaps. I looked at this option and it was cheaper to get a 2nd hand 82 of ebay or similar and sell the 7 (again on ebay or similar).

As another issue if you can get a demo - do it with as much of your kit (speakers/amp ) as you can carry to demo (or do a home demo). I've found some kit made no difference (incl £1000 CDP's) on my home kit. And before anyone suggests I've cloth ears I ended up with a Naim CD5i that is a big change for the better over the 7 but then it cost more than the upgrade option.

Andy

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The upgrade is still available - we ship surprising numbers every month; some go in CD7x players and some in Alpha 7s. IMO it is sonically well worth £230 or so to do this but of course the decision is up to you :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Tarik

Tarik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. Here's my problem: since purchasing my alpha 7 I've moved to France. Arcam dealers are near impossible to find (there is only one!) - It may be difficult to organise the demo (I'll try). The cost of the upgrade is 350 Euros + 50 Euros to change the optical block. I don't want to move away from the "british sound" of arcam, so I may simply change the optical block (doesn't read all CDs) until my next trip over to the UK. I would prefer buying new as well...(ex demo also acceptable). I'll follow your advice and look on ebay

Tarik