Upgrade advise please

ozzpoz

Novice Member
Hi. Before I start I'll just say I'm totally out of my depth with this. So any helps appreciated.
Last year a friend sold me his old pc for my lad to get started with, I'll post it's specs at the end. He plays mostly Fortnite and it runs fine but he wants to get a bit more serious and upgrade it. So it can play the latest games.
I'm thinking of buying a
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB AMP Turing Graphics Card .

So my question is will the rest of the pc be able to handle the extra umph and would anything else need replacing.
Also would the upgrade make a noticeable difference and be able to play the latest game on good settings. Thanks for any info. I'll post his current specs below.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D highlighted with Green LED’s and Fans
Power Supply: Corsair GS 600w PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz @ 4.50GHz Ivybridge CPU
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i All in One Cooler
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
Hard Drive: Your Choice of Primary and Secondary Hard Drive/Solid State Drives
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2048MB Graphics Card
Sound: Realtek 7.1 HD Sound (Sound Card Optional)
Optical Drive: OcUK 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

sykotik

Distinguished Member
You should be fine with the 2060 , but you might need to upgrade the PSU,
with the overclock on the CPU and no doubt your son will want to overclock the GPU ,
and i guessing the PSU is now a good 6/7 years old
it may be best the buy a newer one , just to be on the safe side , ( i could be over thinking , but better safe than sorry )

is the boot drive for Windows on an SSD ? having a SSD as the boot drive will help speed things up too.
8gb of ram is fine , but 16gb will better .....

it just depends on how much you really want to start spending ..

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Some of the newer games will be bottle necked by the i5 4670k a little. But the only upgrade is an i7 4770k or 4790k and they are expensive second hand. The only other option is new CPU, motherboard and RAM, circa £350 depending on the spec
I would buy a second stick of RAM as well, 1 stick is running in single channel, dual channel makes quite a difference

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom