• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade advise please

raven219

I am looking to getting back to playing a few games on my PC e.g. Arkham City, Mad Max maybe even Fallout 4. I am a casual gamer probably only clocking up a couple of hours a week. The big issue I have as you will see from kit list (below) I have a Radeon HD 4770 which is only capable of supporting DirectX 10.1. As my monitor has a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 I don't need a top of the range rig so I was thinking of a Radeon R7 250, but I didn't know whether that would good enough. Also do I need to upgrade anything else?

Thanks all.

PC SPEC

AMD Phenom II X4 965
ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM @ 669MHz
Radeon HD 4770 (512GB)
Dell 2005 FPW monitor (max resolution 1680x1050)
W10 64 bit OS.

Sviat

Novice Member
Hello.
I have a similar issue, so will not start a new thread. My video card is HD5450, so I am thinking about AMD R7-370, such as the MSI R7-370 for about $170
To my mind, a gaming computer cannot be build on a card with 512MB of memory and bandwidth less that 256bit.
I would add more memory. Plus, instead of R7 250 I would buy R7 250X (or even 260X). There is a pretty big performance gain, while the prices are almost identical.

As for my issue: I want an AMD HBM2.0 - is it worth waiting instead of buying the MSI R7-370 now?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The R7 250 GDDR5 would be an OK card at £45-50 but when the cheapest ones are £65-70 and only have 1GB of memory it's very poor value next to an R7 360 at £15 more. The 260X is the better card, but there aren't many around at those prices these days.

AMD cards have had some (minor) performance issues on slower CPUs (although future DirectX 12 games shouldn't suffer) so if you're not planning to change your monitor and want the adaptive sync ('freesync') support it might be worth considering a GTX 750ti instead.

@Sviat: The main issue with the 370 is it doesn't get adaptive sync support unlike the rest of the 260+/360+ cards.

Gearcog

Standard Member
I would second the recommendation of the GTX 750ti as the option to look into (around 80-90 quid on average so not that much more expensive than your ATI choice with far more oomph behind it)

Your Phenom is more than capable in handling a 1680x1050 resolution.

If you decide to go the ATI route why not look into bumping up your Ram to 8gb (anything more is useless at the moment gaming wise)?

Hope that helps (and hello community)

Sviat

Novice Member
Thank you for the responses.
Actually, I would buy Nvidia, simply because they are more efficient, while AMD cards cost a bit less.
But, as AMD is in bad conditions now, I would support them, simply because I will get nearly equal performance in comparison with Nvidia cards. Besides, we need at least two competitors.

to EndlessWaves: actually, I have seen several reviews after posting my comment here))) the R7-370 is not very good at 1920x1080 + Ultra settings; in most games, it gives less than 30 FPS.
So I may consider anything else (380 or 270x). Or, if I decrease the resolution to 720p, that would make it better? Anyway, there is need to hurry))

"Your Phenom is more than capable in handling a 1680x1050 resolution." - yes, I would use a Phenom II X4 instead of FX-4300))

raven219

So a quick a comparison from a reputable website that had a good range.
AMD R7 250 1GB £64
2GB £64
250X 1GB £82
265 2GB £118
360 2GB £83
370 2GB £113
Nvidia GTX 750Ti 2GB £87

So price wise it looks like a straight fight between a R7 360 and GTX 750TI. Quick bit of research seems to indicate that the 750 is the better card. Would you agree?

Thanks

Gearcog

Standard Member
Quick bit of research seems to indicate that the 750 is the better card. Would you agree?

Completely agree. Reviewing your options I would heartily recommend taking the 750 route and down the road keeping a lookout for a cheap upgrade to 8gb of system RAM. Jumping from 4 to 8 you can feel the difference while 8 to 16gb makes little to zero sense (unless you're a professional video editor etc).

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
360 2GB £83
370 2GB £113
Nvidia GTX 750Ti 2GB £87

So price wise it looks like a straight fight between a R7 360 and GTX 750TI. Quick bit of research seems to indicate that the 750 is the better card. Would you agree?

The R7 370 can be had in 4GB form at that price.

The 750ti and R7 360 have pros and cons. The R7 360 is preferable for an all new system because it supports much cheaper variable refresh rate monitors (£120+ instead of £300+ for nVidia cards), cheap enough that you might actually buy one with a card this price and that far outweighs any minor performance advantages the 750ti has.

With an older CPU and an existing monitor the 750ti is a better bet though.

The 750ti/360 have pros and cons.
Actually, I would buy Nvidia, simply because they are more efficient, while AMD cards cost a bit less.

AMD's mid-range options (380, 390) use more power than nVidia's, but the 370 and 950 have very similar power consumption:
Consommation et efficacité énergétique - Nvidia GeForce GTX 950, MSI Gaming et Inno3D iChill Ultra en test : Maxwell 2 passe sous 200€ - HardWare.fr

Not that even the 125W GTX 960 could be described as low power, you'd be horrified if any other component used that much, it's about twice as much as a typical CPU and more than Intel's £800 flagship 8 core i7-5960X.

Sviat

Novice Member
AMD's mid-range options (380, 390) use more power than nVidia's, but the 370 and 950 have very similar power consumption:
Consommation et efficacité énergétique - Nvidia GeForce GTX 950, MSI Gaming et Inno3D iChill Ultra en test : Maxwell 2 passe sous 200€ - HardWare.fr
Thanks for the link) I read their reviews from time to time.
In the next couple of day I think I'll decide which graphics card should I have)) PS: again, I would prefer having an AMD GPU, but they are too old for now.

Gearcog

Standard Member
Thanks for the link) I read their reviews from time to time.
In the next couple of day I think I'll decide which graphics card should I have)) PS: again, I would prefer having an AMD GPU, but they are too old for now.

Forgive me but as an owner of an FX-6300 I disagree. Perhaps old but certainly no hindrance to my gaming (primary use). Armed with 16gb of generic Ram and a 4gb GTX 960 I've yet to find a title that cannot be run at 1920x1080 at HD quality. I'll be upgrading to a GTX 970 in a little while but have no intention on upgrading my CPU for at least another 6 months to a year. It's a fantastic chip, with tons of overclocking room, and more than capable of handling 1080p gaming.

If your primary focus however 4k gaming then yes you will be hand braked by an FX CPU and a GTX 980 (my minimum for 4K gaming in my head anywhere). I would go haswell (second hand i7) if it was my choice.

Apologies but felt like defending my little FX workhorse :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
PS: again, I would prefer having an AMD GPU, but they are too old for now.

AMD's latest GPU design (GCN 1.2) was released on the 2nd of September 2014. Nvidia's latest GPU design (Maxwell Mk.2) was released on the 14th of September 2014.

I don't think you need to worry about a difference of twelve days.

The 370 is an older design, but given that it's the same design as used in the consoles it's not going to age like most designs will.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom