Upgrade Advice

gbech

Standard Member
Hi,

Mrs is nagging again that her pc is running slow / crashing so I have the convenient excuse to buy a few new bits for mine and upgrade hers with the hand me downs :devil:

going to need a CPU, Motherboard and RAM to sort hers out,

I mainly use the PC for gaming and currently have :-
Nvidia 8800GTX
Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2

Was thinking of upgrading to 3ghz Core 2 Duo E6850 and 4gb (2 x 2gb) dual DDR2 and keeping the AW9D if isn't any huge benefits to going through the hasstle of removing it??

Also a little confused in regards to what memory is best to use if i keep the AW9D, Most of DDR2 ram is listed as 1066Mhz, the board manual says it does DUAL DDR2 800mhz, and cpu-z tell's me the ram i have now is running at 400mhz :confused:

Help / Suggestions anyone?
:lease:

booyaka

Hi,

I mainly use the PC for gaming and currently have :-
Nvidia 8800GTX
Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2
Am i right in thinking that you want to hand this lot to your missus pc and get new parts yourself??

The above it hardly what you call a poor pc - add another 2gb of ram and it will be fine - no really need to upgrade i would suggest.

If you MUST, then consider 4gb of ram, Q6600 or newer Q9450's but you will also then need a new motherboard as well potentially.

Your ram is running at the correct speed @ 400mhz. With DDR2 ram it basically runs @ half the speed shown

gbech

Standard Member
yes, this is what I have in my pc at the moment, but if their is anything worth upgrading I might aswell do it now while I have a home for the old bits.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The only thing I'd consider upgrading is the CPU to a Quad Core (Q6600, your motherboard doesn't support the newer Q9300) and the memory to 4GB, but you may not see any advantage from either at the moment.

DDR stands for double data rate, so DDR800 is certified to run at 400Mhz and DDR1066 is certified to run at 533Mhz.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom