upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j_watkins, Jan 20, 2008.

1. j_watkins

j_watkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have an Pioneer VSX-859 RDS and am looking to replace it with a new one which supports the newer HD audio sources to go along with the Toshiba HD DVD EP35 player I got the other week.

I have been looking at the Onkyo 605 and the 705.

But I am wondering if the Onkyo 605 is going to be much of an upgrade over my exisiting one or would the 705 be a better option.

Any advice you can give would be great.

I would also be looking to sell my old pioneer as well, how much would I be able to get for it?

Thanks in advance,

John

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Only your ears can tell you if the £££s is worth the upgrade from your current receiver to a Onkyo model. Obviously the Onkyos will give you improved video functionality and HD audio decoding and some other bells and whistles. It really depends on what you are connecting to it. The 705 has more power, an extra HDMI input, slightly more inputs, THX certified and Audyssey MultiEQ XT over the 2EQ on the 605. Whether this is worth the £200 premium to you will depend on whether you actually need these features. Hopefully the amp manufacturers will address the spec/pricing differences between their amps and the Onkyos so there is some decent competition out there. I know Pioneer are releasing a new 1018 model later this year that should give the 605 a run for it's money.

Without knowing much about your amp, I wouldn't know how much to charge for it but do a search in the classifieds and obviously check ebay and so on. It's only worth what people are willing to pay.

If your current amp has analogue inputs, you should get HD audio from your EP35. That's the way I have mine connected and I'm more than happy for the time being. I will wait until all this HD nonsense settles down a bit before going for a HDMI amp.

3. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Your Pioneer VSX-859 has multichannel phono inputs, so you can hook up the Toshiba EP35 player that way - the player itself would do the decoding for TrueHD etc before being sent to the AV receiver. Most of the other receiver manufacturers are playing catch up as far as models able to do decoding like the Onkyo SR range, so it may be worth waiting.

Robert