Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

upgrade advice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by barrykil, Oct 7, 2002.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi
    My system is used mostly for watching films and occasionally playing music, now i am starting to play a lot more music/cds my system is
    denon amp 3082
    tosh 210e dvd
    energy take 5.2 speakers + sub
    satisfied with tv/dvds but now i`m looking for a dedicated cd player and perhaps a couple of decent front/stereo speakers, i`ve got about £600-£800 to spend on this.
    What would be the best way of improving my music output
    thanks for any advice/help

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I was in a similar position a couple of months ago. Had a Denon 3801 with Rega Alya floor standers and the Rega Centa, Rel Stadium sub.

Movies sounded fantastic but music from my Linn TT was poor. I'd auditioned the Alyas with a cheaper turntable and a Rega Brio stereo amp (£400) and that sounded great - clean tight bass and treble, really exciting to listen to, so the weakness must be the digital processing in the Denon amp. I did notice a small improvement with the Denon when using the Direct mode but the amp was still the bottleneck.

I asked the dealer how much I'd have to spend on a surround sound amp to get music that good. The answer was a lot! So one solution I considered was to add a 2ch pre-amp and just use the power amps in the Denon when playing music.

Although I bought a second hand Rotel RC850 pre-amp I never got to try this solution. The Denon got sold and I upgraded to a much better pre/power combination that does movies and music really well. If you're interested the pre-amp is for sale. £50 + carriage.

Regards

3. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi
    thanks still undecided which way to go (upgrading path )
    thanks