1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by annabel12, Mar 30, 2002.

1. annabel12

annabel12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have an 11 year old Sony F450E video 8 analogue camera that has just about run out of steam. It has faithfully given me top quality recordings on over 900 90 minute cassettes since 1991 with no problems at all apart from a jammed eject mechanism 5 years ago. However, the 450E is the sixe of a bus and gets very strange looks these days from everyone with all these pocket sized DV items.

I dont want DV, I am very happy with analogue, and have in any case 900 tapes on video 8 format which I want to replay and copy onto VHS eventually. My current machine is getting very snowy on playback suggesting head replacement, but my local dealer told me it would be cheaper to replace the machine and he couldnt get the part anyway.

Therefore, where could I go for the bargain basement analogue video 8 machines, now obsolete I have been told, but are quite good enough quality for me, indeed my Sony 450E until recently was as good as any other machine I have seenm inc digital video budget machines. Not interested in PC editing or anything like that, just good steady analogue stuff in marvellous analogue mono sound. Any ideas? I have £250 to spend but dont want to buy a load of old junk on Ebay that doesnt work!

Since analogue video is practically a dinosaur, I imagine there are some clearance web sites offering dirt cheap new analogue machines? My Sony cost me £1100 in 1991 but I dont want to spend anything like that, strict budget of £250, I want something well built like my Sony which has been thrown about and abused for 11 years with only one small fault until now. The new DV cams are very plastic and dont look as they would survive much rough use.

Thanks

Pro analogue Video User, Annabel.

PS The Sony F450E was a damm good machine BTW for the amateur everyday user.

2. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Annebele,
    if you want to stick with Sony, - sensible - then the new range of Hi-8 camcorders they have introduced this year, --- ( surprise - surprise !) starts at £330-00 rrp. but you will probably find the entry model for about £300-00 online.
    It will be well worth finding the extra 50 quid or so, for the Sony. Don't try to cut too many corners, as you will be disappointed with anything you find for only £250-00
    Alan.