1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice ....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gaz_az, Apr 10, 2005.

1. gaz_az

gaz_az
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would appreciate some advice before I commit to changing my projector. Currently have a Sim2 Domino 20 which is about 1 year old. I use RGB input from an Xcard in the HTPC or VGA from the graphics card.

Was thinking of upgrading to a 30H, but I can probably get a second hand 300HD for cheaper. It doesn't have any digital input which I am not using at the moment anyway.

How does the picture quality of the 300 compare to the 30H ?? Would it be a bad idea to upgrade to a projector without digital input at this stage ??

:D

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    gaz_az,

The 300HD was the first generation of the 300 Grand Cinema Series and it will not give you a picture nearly as good as the Domino 30H.

The 300HD used the very first TI 1280x720 chip which then had only 10 degree mirrors (they all use 12 degree mirrors now) and as such the contrast and black level doesn't come close to the 30H.

The 30H is much quieter too with the improved smaller colour wheel. Not having an HDCP compliant digital input may prove to be a pain in the future with High Def from Sky, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD around the corner.

The scaling, de-interlacing and firmware have also moved on a long way from the original 300.

Another advantage of buying a new 30H is the peace of mind of the 2yr warranty and the 1yr or 3000 hr (whichever comes first) lamp warranty.

Hope this helps

Jeff :rtfm: