Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by avfmaniac, Feb 9, 2014.

1. avfmaniac

avfmaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I am a newbie in the HT, yet I appreciate good sound. My current HT setup consists of:

Denon 2113
    Polk Monitor 40s (F/L)
    Polk CS1 center
    Polk Monitor 30s (surrounds)
    SVS PB-1000 subwoofer

This setup is for movies and music in a condo living room which is generally pretty small 4m x 5m. I do not listen at reference levels ever... the most I turn up the volume on the AVR is 55-60 trying to be mindful of the neighbors. I am pretty happy with the setup and have had it only for a year. Now, I do not know if I am getting bored, or simply need to stop reading the forums and speaker reviews, but I have gotten into my head that I want to upgrade my front speakers with ones which are 1) bookshelf with 6 1/2 woofer 2) front ported 3) neutral sounding [​IMG]

I am generally after the most transparent, neutral sound. But the more I read, the more I find that this would be impossible due to coloration on speakers, receivers, room gain. E.g. I read that a denon receiver is warmer (less forward) as opposed to a yamaha. This would Imply that I would have to have slightly brighter speakers to get to the neutral sound [​IMG] Would not Audissey MultiEQ help if a speaker is bright or does not have enough bass?

So, could you guys convince me I need to upgrade if I am missing a lot with the 40s or stick with what I have? Upgrades I am considering are Polk RTiA3s, or Monitor Audio BX2.

2. smasher50

smasher50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    fwiw,imo, the speakers you are considering will not be that much more of an upgrade especially performance/ price ratio. the avr's also "imo" do not possess the ability to make speakers sound any brighter or neutral. the most important factors of sound in "your" room is speaker placement and "your" room in general from type of floors, walls, windows etc.. audyssey will help give you better sound in "your" room . money would be better off spent on better room treatments and room acoustics. just my 2 cents

3. avfmaniac

avfmaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, for the advice smasher. I just felt like Polk are not considered audiophile speakers so need to upgrade to something better. As for room treatment, agree that I have not done much on this since I am renting. i have played with sub placement, etc. The reason why I stated i wanted ported front speakers is because I do not have a whole lot of room between the wall and the speakers. So I was thinking my next speakers have to be front ported to be independent of wall proximity...and also go for the 6 1/2 woofer for a better overall sound and blend with the subwoofer.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Polk makes decent speakers, but like all things you get what you pay for. The Polk on my computer I bought on sale for about £30/pr, though the normal price was much higher than that. I think they might be the Polk M10. For the £30 I paid they are great, for the suggested Retail price, not so great.

The Polk Monitor series is discontinued but they were regarded as pretty good speakers in their price range, and when they were closing the models out, they were considered an exceptional bargain.

For those not familiar with the Polk Monitor 40, here is some information and a photo -

Monitor 40 - Bookshelf | Polk Audio®

That's a pretty decent speaker.

Next, are you in the UK or EU, Polk Audio speakers are not very common in Europe. Also where you are will effect the speakers we can potentially recommend. If you are not in the USA, Canada, Australia, the UK or the EU, it becomes more difficult because we have to guess at what speakers might be available in your area.

The Polk RTi series is considerable higher than the Monitor Series. Monitor Audio BX are very good; deep bass, crisp highs, decent price.

Personally, I think the new Polk TSx speakers look incredibly cool, though I've not had a chance to hear them -

TSx550T - Floorstanding | Polk Audio®

TSx440T - Floorstanding | Polk Audio®

TSx330T - Floorstanding | Polk Audio®

To some extent it gets down to your BUDGET. Likely you will have to replace your Front and Center speaker to keep a consistent tonality in the speakers.

The amp you have should be fine as long as it has the features you want.

Denon AVR-2113 review from the experts at whathifi.com

So, the two key elements at this point are -

- Location?
    - BUDGET?

Steve/bluewizard

5. smasher50

smasher50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    fwiw, don't think you could call any speaker an "audiophile" speaker as there are no such speaker. a great sounding speaker is one that "you" consider great in "your" room with "your" furnishings in your budget with your ears, not mine or someone elses. the polks you have are their entry level speaker and when you got them you enjoyed them a lot and probably still do. the polk rti's and monitor audio bx are definitely an upgrade on the speaker chart and nice speakers but imo not much of a worthy upgrade and not worth the money for the little better sound you will achieve from the polk monitors. if you where starting with nothing and had a budget to purchase better speakers I might go for the rti's or bx's. along time ago I was you and purchased speakers just better than the ones I had. after many purchases and "thousands" of dollars later, I think I'm done(I've said that a few times before though). i'm just saying that if you purchase the rti's or bx's I guarantee you'll be upgrading again very soon as this is a very addictive and expensive and crazy hobby(just ask my wife) if you let it. imo if your not going to invest in a lot more expensive speakers were money/ performance is worth your investment, then save your money and invest in what will make a difference in sound with what you already have and that's treatments and room acoustics. they make treatments and acoustic panals small enough for apt. living and can be taken with you if or when you move. if your going to upgrade save your money for speakers that are really worth the money/performance. this will save you thousands of dollars in the long run. just remember that there is no perfect speaker(but there are great speakers in all budgets if this makes sense).sorry about the long boring post, just my 2 cents.

6. avfmaniac

avfmaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BlueWizard, I am based in the EU so the options boil down to what I can ship within EU. Some US/Canada online direct brands also ship but you have to pay extra high shipping and customs is always a challenge. I bought the Polks due to a local dealer who persuaded me that Polk are American speakers and as such have character and are fun to listen to, esp for HT setup. He said that British brands are lifeless. So at that time I also had a trip to US and found the Monitor series on clearance dirt cheap on newegg (many great reviews about the monitor 40s there).

Anyway, I am debating whether I need to upgrade or what I have is decent... and should spend more time watching movies that reading the forums as it is a never ending urge for upgrade :) As for the budget, I do not want to spend an arm and a leg. I always shoot for the best value for my money, and currently I would say that whatever is the cost of the Monitor Audio BX2 is my budget. I am looking to buy from ebay/amazon co.uk/de or any other online site that will ship within the EU. I notice that the prices are higher in UK so probably anyone that sells stuff in eur currency.

7. avfmaniac

avfmaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smasher, agree with you 100%. What would be an example of the "more expensive speakers were money/ performance is worth your investment"?

8. avfmaniac

avfmaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what my living room looks like -- it's a small condo room. I realize it is probably the worst for getting the most out of the gear I have/will have

livroom_sketch_v2.jpg .

9. smasher50

smasher50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    fwiw, just looking at set up you have now a few things you could try to improve your system now if possible is to pull couch and sofas off the back wall about a12"-24" and purchase some speaker stands for your l&r fronts and place them on each side of your bookshelf/ tv stand. this will give you a larger soundstage and better surround sound.as for money/performance speakers that's a difficult task that only you will be able to conclude.if for both movies and music and mainly in the European market I would look into the middle to upper lines of speakers from monitor audio, kef , or focal to start depending on a realistic budget. just my 2 cents