Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lwhitworth, Aug 23, 2013.

1. lwhitworth

lwhitworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I have a case of upgrad-itis and am just wondering where best to spend my money. Got around £1,200 to spend and presently have the following setup:

Sony DA2400ES receiver
    Mission 700 fronts (got these about 14 years ago)
    Mission m3c1i center
    Mission m30i as rears
    BK Gemini II sub

I've been using all of this for movies, tv, games and music for a while now. Music comes via an AppleTV over airplay, movies from Sky or Blu-Ray player.

The other half would like smaller speakers in the living room so I've been looking at a set of Monitor Audio MASS speakers. I can get these with or without a sub. I've also just read the review of the B&W A7 airplay speaker and I'm very very tempted by that too.

Questions for you fine folks then are: do you think it's worth getting the MASS sub or will it not offer me any advantage over the Gemini II? Also am I being crazy looking at the MASS speakers and the A7 and would I be able to get more for my money if I put the whole amount to getting some different speakers? Lastly, should I be looking at a new receiver in amongst all of this to get the most out of any new speakers or on the budget I've got would it be best to leave that alone for now and concentrate on speakers?

Sorry for war & peace! thanks in advance for any comments.

Luke

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,843
    I'd suggest forgetting about the Mass speakers. I'd also suggest you keep your current sub until a later date. Maybe look at replacing your AV receiver first and then replace the speakers gradually over time?

Buying a good receiver first will give you the foundations to build upon and allow you to add comparable quality speakers as funds allow ;)

Maybe look at the Monitor Audio Apex speakers rather than small diminutive satalite speakers? You'll still get the lifstyle aesthetics without compromising on the audio quality too much.

A good option for an AV receiver right now would be the Yamaha RXA2020. This would ordinarily cost you about £1,500, but is available from a few retailers for about £950. The Arcam AVR400 is also another good option right now and can be had for about £1K. The Arcam was orignally a £2K receiver. Either of these receivers would go well with the aforementioned Apex speakers.

If the above options are a little too rich for you then consider Monitor Audios Radius range of speakers or the Shadow range. Look at receivers such as last years Marantz SR7007 or a Denon AVR3313 if you can still find any in stock?

If truly insistant on lifestyle sats then I'd suggest you consider KEFs new E series speakers rather than Monitor Audio's Mass speakers. I'd also not go too high end in terms of the receiver with either of these two speaker options. These speakers would restrict your receiver choices to those that will not exceed the speakers capabilities and as such will not really give you a viable receiver upgrade. You could just about justify the SR7008 or the Denon AVR3313 with either of these two speaker options, but you'd not really be getting the best from those receivers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. lwhitworth

lwhitworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers for the reply. Do you think (considering the speakers I've got at the moment) I'd see any advantage from upgrading just the amp today (I do like the look of the RXA2020!). Seems like a lot of amp for the speakers I've got and if I wait and try and get speakers and amp together I would hopefully be able to get some kind of discount. Of course if the yamaha would make that much difference over the Sony even through the Mission speakers it's a tempting suggestion!

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,843
    Improvements will be marginal although you should hear a difference because Yamaha AV receivers have a different audio signature to that of Sony's receivers. The RXA2020 will probably be no longer in stock by the time you've raised enough cash to purchase replacement speakers. The sub £1K price for the Yamaha is due to the model becoming discontinued within the next month.

The easiest way of doing things is as I suggested. Buy the amp and then gradually replace the speakers ;) First buy the amp then the front left, centre and right speakers and then finally replace the rears. The sub isn't as important and there's no real reason for you to replace this, but you can if you feel the need to at some point in the future. For example, the RXA2020 for £950 now and then spend another £900 on the Monitor Audio Apex front left, right and centre speaker later. Then when funds are replenished, spend another £300 on another pair of Apex10 speakers for the rear. The sub that matches the Apex speakers will set you back £1K!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  5. lwhitworth

lwhitworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seriously huge thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Did some trawling of the net with your advice ringing in my ears and stumbled across a deal on the MA R90HD10 package (£699 with free stands!) so have grabbed that for now, mainly as the other half wanted/insisted on smaller speakers anyway which is what kicked off all of this in the first place. I know you said get a new amp first, but this deal was too good to pass up (plus it makes the wife happier!). I'll now have a trawl and see if I can find a nice price for the Denon AVR3313 as looked at the Marantz but couldn't stand the styling!

Cheers again :)