Upgrade advice Yamaha RX-v663

Davethedyer

Novice Member
Could use input on potential system upgrade.
Running the Yamaha v663 in a 5.2 setup.
Center PSB 5- 1/4
Main NHT m10 professional monitors 6.5
Subs pair of Mirage LS-150 10"
Rear PSB surround
So honestly I am very happy with the sound but I'm wondering what advantage would there be to get a newer more powerful receiver maybe with Atmos? The RX-x663 is 90 watts per channel.
My monitor is a Sony 60" 1080p hdmi from 2014. Not looking to install speakers in ceiling btw.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Could use input on potential system upgrade.
Running the Yamaha v663 in a 5.2 setup.
Center PSB 5- 1/4
Main NHT m10 professional monitors 6.5
Subs pair of Mirage LS-150 10"
Rear PSB surround
So honestly I am very happy with the sound but I'm wondering what advantage would there be to get a newer more powerful receiver maybe with Atmos? The RX-x663 is 90 watts per channel.
My monitor is a Sony 60" 1080p hdmi from 2014. Not looking to install speakers in ceiling btw.

So are you considering the upfiring speakers then for Atmos? The usually have sweet spot around 10feet or less, although you can play with the angles. Also you should meet these:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material.

You would gain better room correction with dual sub eq, preouts for poweramp if you want to really make big jump on power later, more channels/processing naturally, some streaming (music) features etc.

The availability is poor atm in most receivers in US it seems. Also this is bad time to buy anything cause the prices are high. Usually you should look receiver around June-August assuming there will be new models so you get these "old" ones cheaper! You didn´t tell budget, but here is few popular options below if you can`t wait. Notice that Yamaha introduces new models in few month time, available likely June. They are called RX-A4A (7.2), RX-A6A (9.2) and RX-A8A (11.2).

Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product

Davethedyer

Novice Member
So I added a Rotel 1075 amp to my Yamaha v663. Clearer and better defined sound. Now thinking of getting a Rotel RSP 1570 and replacing the receiver.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So I added a Rotel 1075 amp to my Yamaha v663. Clearer and better defined sound. Now thinking of getting a Rotel RSP 1570 and replacing the receiver.

If you don´t need any new features or connections then why not! It has old HDMI 1.3 version inputs/outputs. And there is no room correction either on that processor.

Davethedyer

Novice Member
Only using 1080p monitor. With the Yamaha I used it's mic to set up speakers. So the Rotel will have to be set up manually?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I don`t know. One could imagine it would have some kind of mic setup which sets distances, delays, levels etc. but no eq. Download the manual and have a look, it`s mentioned there if it has one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom