Upgrade advice. Q acoustics or Dali Zensor. Floorstander or stand mount

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by sensei, Mar 11, 2017.

1. sensei

sensei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all

I've decided to upgrade my kit but having problems making a decision and just going round in circles at the moment.

My room dimensions are 4.5m x 4.5m and I have small ceilings around 2.4m high. My main use would be TV/Movies say around 80% and music 20%.

I currently have a q acoustics 1010i 5.1 setup with onkyo 607. Looking at getting the denon x2300w and thinking the BK sub xls200 would be good for my room size. My rear speakers are mounted on the wall so ideally keeping these as they are.

The Front 3 speakers. Easiest choice would be keeping them all q acoustics so I would be looking at the 3090 centre. I would like floorstanders and do like the look of the 3050s but looks like I would be pushing it for space behind them and might be a bit overkill for my room size anyway especially with a decent sub? The 3020 with stands might be better suited but maybe doesn't seem as much as an upgrade?

Other option would be go for a smaller floorstander and like the look of the Dali Zensor 5 with the zensor vokal. Or it pointless getting a floorstander in a room this size? Also might not be a great combination with the rear speakers as is, so would I need to change these also?

So Floorstanders in my room size? Or would I likely get better performance from the stand mount speakers?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    The denon is the same level of receiver as your onkyo so it will give you newer features but nothing in terms of sound quality improvements. Since you have a sub there is no real gain from floorstanders. Again the speakers you are looking at are more of a sideways step. Personally I would upgrade the sub to a xxls400 and keep the rest of the speakers you have at the moment. Also unless you need the new features I would keep your current avr as well. Then keep saving for a proper upgrade.

3. sensei

sensei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. Don't need the extra features of the receiver yet but thought it would be a good improvement in general with the option of atmos in the future but not a urgent purchase as I've not went 4k yet.

I actually messaged BK for advice and they suggested the XLS200 would add a good deal of bass in my room size and that the P12-300SB is also worth considering if I'd like bass a little bit heavier but didn't think I need to go to the XXLS400

4. sensei

sensei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    The bk sub will be better and 400 will be fine. No one ever regrets buying a better or bigger sub. The 400 will be fine in your room. The denon will give you no improvement in sound quality so if you do not need the new features then there are no gains from changing your onkyo.

6. sensei

sensei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the advice. Will do some more research.

Will buy a sub fairly soon. Then buy a new avr when the time is right. Will look at the model above when the price comes down.

7. DrHarvey12

DrHarvey12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    As somebody who has owned the Dali E12-F and has more recently gone down the BK subwoofer route I can wholeheartedly recommend a BK subwoofer over the E12-F unreservedly.

The E12-F is not bad in and of itself, and I have certainly heard worse subwoofers in the same price range but the BK Monolith Plus' I have (for exactly the same price when I bought mine) are in a totally different league. Really deep bass with no boom or overhang. You almost feel like the bass is missing sometimes as you become used to the "bloated" bass effect and once it's gone you kinda miss it. But then you hear a bass heavy scene as it is meant to be heard and that will put the biggest grin on your face!!

I also own the Dali Zensor's. The 3's on surround duties and the Zensor 7's which have moved on to make way for a set of Opticon's. I have always been a fan since I demoed them a number of years agoin a RS. They honestly seemed to be the best "compromise" speakers. Very good for movies and for audio too. One of the other brands may have just shaded it in one or the other categories but for me nothing did both as well as the Zensor's.

Saying that I was really impressed with the Q Acoustics and if you like the sound of them the Zensor's are more of a sidegrade as already pointed out. It seems like quite a bit of money to spend on them and I expect the improvements may be limited. However, it is definitely worth auditioning them next to the Q Acoustics if you can. If you really like the Zensor's then go for them - I have been very happy with mine. Otherwise sticking with Q Acoustics seems like a good choice until you can afford a proper upgrade, should you ever feel the need ;).

8. sensei

sensei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Xxls400 ordered [emoji106]