1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice please?:confused:

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chris OH, May 29, 2003.

1. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Hi

I am new to this stuff being a bit of a vinyl nut and am lost when it comes to the digital world. Anyway, I recently lost my senses and bought a plasma screen TV, an Hitachi 42in model.

I am using a 1st generation Pace Digibox and a Toshiba 100 DVD. All is linked up with decent quality scart leads utilising RGB connection. I am advised that I don’t need to buy a progressive scan DVD and there is no benefit to updating my Digibox.

What are your thoughts?

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Top man... ;) Hehe...

Regarding the PS comment, whilst it's not entirely necessary to go down the PS DVD route with plasma, it is sometimes recommended (Ultimately it depends just how fussy you want to be!;)).

Most plasma displays have their own internal progressive scan systems which work on all sources to give you a better picture, but by upgrading your DVD player, you can benefit from better quality PS hardware, which will ultimately give you an even better picture.

Your best bet would be to find a friendly dealer who is prepared to lend you a PS player for the weekend and judge for yourself - if you can see a dramatic increase in PQ, then go for it... alternatively you may find that your perfectly happy with what your display is already doing :)

K.

3. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "(Ultimately it depends just how fussy you want to be!;))."

I thought I'd said I was a vinyl nut, we have fussy down pat!

Thanks for the comments, they concur with what my local dealer had said when I was considering the HK DVD 25.

However, given I can see the emperors new cloths ;) , which DVD players are reputed by those that know :lesson: to give the best PS / picture performance (both PAL and NTSC I guess)

Regards

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The dealer who convinced me that the Hitachi was the panel of choice advised me not to upgrade my pioneer 656 to the 757. He showed me the ALiS mode of the screen with non PS signal then switched something & put the player in prog scan & it didn't look better to my eyes (I don't have my plasma yet so I don't know what he did to switch modes)

Anyway what i'm fumbling to say is that PS may not be the right thing for you - and I concur, try and get a loan of a machine that can do PS & see how it performs in both modes.