1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stovies, Oct 30, 2005.

1. stovies

stovies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have some pretty old gear and need an upgrade!
    Just splashed out on new av gear so the hifi will be upgraded over the next year.

Old gear (15 years old or so)

Arcam Alpha (original)
    Marantz cd52 mk2
    B&W 600i speakers

What should I upgrade first to notice a big improvement.
    I was thinking of cambridge amp as a start

Budget around 1000 to 1500

Cheers

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The Marantz will probably have lost a bit of its sparkle as its getting on a bit and the signal capacitors have probably dried out, the amp is probably in need of an overhaul anyway for the same reason. I dont know the B&Ws, but do you like them ? essentially the speakers are the last to change if you like the sound and the first to change if you think they lack something as they certainly make the biggest change to a system. The Arcam was a nice warm amp built on the original A&R A60 design if my memory is correct, plenty of power but not much detail and a bit of a bloated bass, but sometimes this works in its favour. The CD52 was pretty good too, but the laser is probably getting tired, add the dried out capacitors and I think this would be the first to change providing your happy with the speakers.

3. stovies

stovies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Karkus,

You are right about the arcam it is a warm sounding amp. I am going to use it in the kitchen as it still has legs yet (volume etc has gone crackly yet). I didnt know that capacitors could dry out :eek:
    The B&W's were aimed at just above the budget speakers of their day. They are as you say, probably the last thing I should upgrade.
    The Marantz has been good but now and again sounds like it is throwing the cd's about with a clonk when you press play, so as you say should be first for an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Garbage in, garbage out. Deal with you CDP first.