1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aarons, Dec 5, 2003.

1. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currently have 3801 pta100 ms 906 fronts and ceiling speakers for surround and old jamo sub sony 200 dvd changer.have around £2000 to spend.was thinking of 2400 and new sub? plus cables would i notice a difference in processing and amplification.the big plus for the 2400 would be the upconverting to component but dont really want to spend £1000 just for this.any suggestions appreciated

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the 1400 & while I can hear a difference over my old 811, I'm not sure if there would be a big jump over an older but still good receiver like the 3801. Having said that, it is a fantastic amp loads of power, great sound reproduction etc etc.

DPL2x is better than dpl2 (I tried out a recording I had of buffy where the surrounds had previously just made squeaky hisses, now there is proper sound coming from all three surrounds).

The automatic configuration & eq is good - although strangely at the end it warned me that my speakers are out of phase even though they aren't.

Haven't got around to video upsampling yet (too keen to get it making noise!). Audio delay feature also yet to be investigated (all my lip sync issues with dvds seem to have gone since I got my Denon 2200).

Definitely get a loan of one before you buy (7oaks are good for this - was able to collect on Sat evening & return on Monday).