1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice needed please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by camlogan, Jul 27, 2003.

1. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all, I have a slow computer that needs an upgrade - could someone please give me a link so I can get it done :)

I need a new motherboard and cpu and possibly a case as well. I already have sdram, graphics cards etc.. so what I need is a motherboard that accept pci and 8xagp as well as sdram.

I currently have a dell gx110 which comes complete with a poor motherboard and a P3 733. These need urgrent replacement as Comand and Conquer is soooo slow at the moment.

anyone got any ideas on a good combination?

Please help :)

CaM

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi
    I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago.
    Seriously, after shoping around I discovered it was actually cheaper to buy a new pre-built PC package that also came with a free printer.

I got a P4 266, 120Gb GD,1GB RAM, Graphics card, separate DVD and CD RW drives, modem, 17inch monitor, printer.
    Just a giveaway at £680.

I looked at replacing my motherboard, chip, memory, power supply, case etc, and gave up! Not worth it.

However I did keep my old audigy soundcard, and recently boughth a Pioneer DVD+RW/-RW drive for £130.

There are some amazing new PC package deals on at the moment. They're practically giving them away.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I generally agree with Jules' advice on replacement, rather than upgrade. But saying that, this guy seems to have done it:
    http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~dah7/PowerLeap-GX110.htm

Also, are you absolutely sure it is the CPU that is the bottleneck? It may be that you need more memory or a better hard drive or graphics card?

In any case, you may just be buying yourself another 12mths or so. Everything gets faster - hard drives, memory, motherboard, graphics - and before very long you will want to take advantage of the improvements. But it is tricky to get the upgrade vs. replacement balance right.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I actually only need the computer for another 12 months or so - then I will use it as a server.

The bottleneck is actually the case, motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card :)

I can't get a better graphics card though unless i have a motherboard that will accept agp (though it also needs some pci slots). The ram is sdram - but I have a gig of it (though my current motherboard only allows 512 max).

I was hoping to find a link somewhere that will alow me to buy a motherboard with a cpu for about 100 pounds. The motherboard would need to take at least sdram and have a combination of at least 1 8*AGP and several PCI slots.

I know it would be better to buy a new computer without the monitor but then what would i do with my old box? Its too slow to be used as a server without an upgrade.

My harddrive is also not great but at least it has all my data on it :)

thanks all

CaM

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Seriously, I found buying a new PC WITHOUT monitor was more expensive than buying a package including a 17inch monitor and printer. Its just rediculous at the moment the way PC's are priced.

If you start upgrading bits, you'll doubtless find there's some component that's too new or too old to install in it.
    If you want more memory, just buy a new module for your new PC and install it. It'll be faster than your existing memory which won't fit.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm glad I went the new PC route.

6. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there guys, thanks all for the advice. I'm starting to think a new case,motherboardm cpu & ram is the way to go...for a little under 200 pounds should get me something quite nice.

bye for now

CaM

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    abit nf-7 v2 motherboard £69.54
    256mb twinmos pc2700 £36.28 x2 (£72.56)
    AMD xp1800 £40.82

total:£182.92 from www.komplett.co.uk

im sure a budget of £220 is enought to get a case aswell

* be advised though, that you will also very likely need a new powersupply, which is an extra £40 on top of that.

* if you want more from your money, then there is a different site you can order the cpu from. They do verified steppings (that#s the revision of the cpu core) and you can get massive overclocks from them - check my sig for an *average* overclock from one of these chips.

* you will also need a heatsink - something like the thermalright sk-7 from www.overclockers.co.uk - £22.91+p&p

honestly that is just about the best value setup you can get - my overclock xp1800+ is running at the exact same speed as an xp2700+. Or, to put it another way, my £40 AMD cpu is running at the same speed as a £113 AMD cpu (2.17ghz) . ON top of that, it is a good deal faster than any 2.4 or 2.6 p4 for substancially less £££ Infact, these chips are capable of over 2.2ghz, which would see you getting more than the performance of AMD's top-of-the-line £378 xp3200+

if you want cheaper than i'll gladly make another list up.

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for the info James. Well, I originally wanted someone to give me details on a cheap motherboard and cpu (as well as fan) to go with my sdram and geforce 4 mmx graphics card that would allow me to use an AGP graphics card.

All I got were responses saying - dtich your old computer and start with more modern up to date components. Since no one was in the spend less than a 100 pound camp I guess that means I should ditch my old box (minus the network card) and start afresh.

So, with that said - I guess I'll be needing 512 meg and a cool, but smallish looking case. So, whats the best looking case out there at the moment? My computer is currently in the lounge though in the next house will be in the study. Also, the motherboard will have to be one that can be upgraded for the next few years.

And last, but not least - what's the best value but good TFT monitor at the moment...a 18inch perhaps?

thanks heeps.

CaM

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,194
    Try:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030729155754328&Addon=F&moduleno=-551&modulecode=
    for £139.99 inc VAT and delivery

or:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030729155754328&Addon=F&moduleno=-550&modulecode=
    for £124.99 inc VAT and delivery

I went for the second option as I don't need onboard 5.1 sound,

I realise the savings they quote are for original selling prices of course, and you can buy the individual/similar components elsewhere for similar prices or even lower, but at least here you know you are getting a package that should work together.

HTH

Dave