1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice needed please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by camlogan, Jul 27, 2003.

1. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all, I have a slow computer that needs an upgrade - could someone please give me a link so I can get it done :)

I need a new motherboard and cpu and possibly a case as well. I already have sdram, graphics cards etc.. so what I need is a motherboard that accept pci and 8xagp as well as sdram.

I currently have a dell gx110 which comes complete with a poor motherboard and a P3 733. These need urgrent replacement as Comand and Conquer is soooo slow at the moment.

anyone got any ideas on a good combination?

Please help :)

CaM

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most likely you won't be able to use your existing memory.. it's slow anyway, so why limit your new system with old memory?

What's your budget?

Here's a quick system spec...

ATX midi case, £44

400W PSU £50-£80

2.67GHz (PG-800FSB) HT Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache £180

Abit IS7-E- i865PE Springdale 800fsb DDDR400 Lan+2xSATA/133 USB2x8 6Ch Aud Spdif £77

512MB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64 - £70

Probably need PC400? memory instead, but at least give you idea on pricing etc.

128Mb Asus V9560TD Tv/DVI Fx5600 Retail £118

Oh yead HD as well? WD 80GB 7200 RPM HD for £60 inc vat... or bigger, if you need it.

3. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I don't really have a budget, but I'm thinking that the computer I get/upgrade now will be ending up as a server at the end of next year.

I already have a graphics card/1 gig of sdram (though my current motherboard only accepts 512 max) so I was thinking of getting a motherboard that I could put my slow sdram and mmx graphics card in now - and swap them out in the next couple of months when i get the time.

The upgrade doesn't have to last more than a year and anything would have to be better than what it is like now.

thanks

CaM

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not use your existing PC as the server? You don't need a stonking PC as a server anyway.. really just plenty of RAM (512MB will be fine on a home LAN) and decent reliable HDs (if left on 24/7)

The Geforce MX range is a bit naff for games, brother has a Geforce 4 MX 64MB in a P4 2.6Ghz, and it's not that much faster than my Intel P3 933mhz with Geforce 2 MX 32MB.

You need to get the "i" range.. as these are much faster with better features.

I don't know what new mobo's with fast FSB's accept SDRAM- I would guess not many or none at all- probably switched over to DDR.. just checked- this accepts SDRAM Abit BW7 RAID SDRAM (S423), but you REALLY will be limiting the performance.. the CPU FSB is 400 or 800mhz (new CPU's) and the memory is 100 or 133mhz.. performance bottleneck will occur.

FWIW, just buy new memory for the new PC.