Upgrade advice needed please

SteveBC

Standard Member
Reaction score
We've just moved into a new home with a ceiling speaker system in the living room and an Onkyo TX-SR506 which the previous occupant left us working in an under stairs cupboard where we placed our Sky box as the dish cables ran into there. The TV in the living room is fed by Cat 5 cable with a HDMI extender at either end. Everything worked fine using a pyramid remote sender to change Sky channels though we had to manually adjust the volume on the Onkyo under the stairs.

However we've now had Sky Q installed again with the main unit under the stairs and the technician said that the Onkyo can't feed the 4k side of things which given its age is unsurprising.

So my request is, can anyone recommend a decent replacement A/V Receiver please and what is the best solution for controlling the volume remotely. The Sky Q Bluetooth remote has done away with the need for the remote pyramids as the understairs is just the other side of the living room wall so I don't know whether there are any Bluetooth remotes for A/V Receivers too.

If it's not already evident I don't know much about these things at all so any advice is appreciated.

Can you separate out the audio and video from the Sky Box? So, HDMI into the TV for video, and optical / digital out into the amp for audio?

The way it's set up at the moment is that a HDMI runs from the Sky Q into the back of the amp and another HDMI comes back out and into the HDMI sender from where two cat 5 cables run to the HDMI receiver at the TV end. The Sky guy said that I needed to plug an optical cable from the back of the Sky Q into the amp to get the ceiling speakers working again as they previously seem to have connected using a coaxial cable which Sky Q doesn't have a port for.

Okay, that should be pretty easy then. I just had a look at a picture of the back of a Sky Q box online, and it does indeed appear to have an optical audio connecter. Likewise, your current amp has an optical audio input. Those cables are inexpensive and should get the job done without the need for a new amp.

So you're saying that I don't need to route the HDMI in and out of the amp to the sender (connect directly?) and only need to connect the audio to the amp?

So you're saying that I don't need to route the HDMI in and out of the amp to the sender (connect directly?) and only need to connect the audio to the amp?

Yes, that should work. So HDMI from skybox to the extender, into your TV. And optical from sky box into your amp for audio. You will probably need to configure your sky box to send audio via optical rather than HDMI.

Does the hdmi extender allow 4k?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom