• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade advice needed - current spec included

hotchilidamo

Prominent Member
Hey All

So I have a PC I bought a while back, I've listed out the spec below. I'm finding it is slowing down using programs like lightroom etc. Rather than buy a new one, I wanted to know what I could do to this one to speed it up and future proof it a bit. I'd love your suggestions.

Here's the current spec:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9450
ASUS® P5K Motherboard
4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066MHz
1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7200rpm)

I'm assuming I could add another 4GB RAM to this but I would then need to change the OS to 64 bit - I'm assuming this isn't a simple install, rather a wipe and then complete install of a new OS

Is there likely to be much point in upgrading the processor? How about a solid state drive for the OS?

As you can see I'm really not sure what to do so ideas/advice would be very welcome

Thanks in advance

brookheather

Distinguished Member
An SSD would be the best performance upgrade. If you are running out of memory running Lightroom then just installing 64-bit Windows 7 would give you almost 1GB extra from your existing 4GB (it would be a clean install).

maf1970

Prominent Member
CPU - no point as you have one of the better ones already. Anything above is expensive and can be difficult to get. Core 2 Extreme CPUs are real expensive.

Your board will support up to 8Gb of RAM but this is only worth doing if in conjunction with an upgrade to a 64-bit OS and yes it is a complete reinstall.

I would second brookheather in that an SSD for the OS would be the best upgrade choice. This would allow you to use the large drive just for data and as a temp area while editing.(remember to reconfigure software where necessary.)

hotchilidamo

Prominent Member
Great, thanks everyone. An SSD it is then.

Any recommendations? Current HD usage is about 250GB. I'm pretty sure I can get rid of a lot of crap from that so assume 256GB should be about right

brookheather

Distinguished Member
If you are working with compressed files then avoid Sandforce drives - have a look at the Samsung 830 or Crucial m4. You are looking at around £150 for a 256GB drive.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom