1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice: M&K K3 package vs Mordaunt Short B-THX Select package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sgecko, Aug 13, 2003.

1. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current set-up sounds great but our son is growing & when he's walking I'm scared he may knock the bulky breadbins off the stands & cause some damage! So I thought getting a smaller wall-mounted set-up may be safer but I don't want to compromise on performance. The other alternative is combo of floorstanders & wallmounts in a bigger room.

Here's what I've got (which I'm considering replacing):

B&W CDM-C SE centre
    B&W CDM-2 SE stereos on Alphason stands
    B&W VM-1 rear wall-mounted centre
    B&W DM-600 S3 rear surrounds on Gale stands

Permanent kit:

M&K VX7 Mk II sub (will sell if going for Mordaunts)
    Denon AVR-3801 amp
    Pioneer DV-717 player
    Sony FXKV 32" telly

Pictures here

My choices for change (?upgrade) are:

M&K K3 series (3x K7 fronts & pair of K4 dipoles) RRP £1275

Mordaunt Short B-THX Select (centre, floorstanders & 2 dipoles) RRP 1600 (on sale for £1369)

Both systems have been 2002 award-winners with What Hi-Fi.

I'm testing the M&Ks in the living room and they seem ok... a little tinny & they only really come to life when the amp is cranked up! I've been advised to change the frequency setting on the amp though to "small" for better sub integration. Basically any change involves the same financial liability... so what's best for the money?

Over to the experts... :smashin:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Frankly I'd keep my B&W speakers and spend £1400 on a new amp! Neither they or some new M&K's are being properly driven IMO.

P.S. I know your plan revolves around a toddler. :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'd buy the Mordaunt Short Select today as it's Wednesday:D

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You seem determined to change your B+W ones.......so maybe go with the M&K K3 set......
    I saw some K5's and the K4's at sevonaoks hifi yesterday and could not belive how small they are.
    I think your toddler would have no chance getting to them.
    Imagine the fun he would have knocking the floorstanders over if you went for the MS set.

How have you found the K3 set compared to your B+W's.......i was thinking of changeing mine.
    I have 602s2, 601s2, cc6s2, LM1.....not quite in the same league as the CDM series, but might give me some idea.
    Its hard to try and get demos round here and no chance haveing a "at home demo", as sevenoaks only order the M&K's on request of buying.
    I liked the size of them, although would prob go for the K3 set.
    I have 4 kids running round here and they make my poor ol 602's rock on there stands.

I'd go more by the comments from people on here, than a mag.
    From the reviews i've seen in mags and then peoples comments on owning them, the mags dont have a product long enough to give a proper review.

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    SGecko,

Where did you get your prices for the K series? £1275 sounds cheaper than the usual figure, I thought they were £1895?

I imported a set myself from a friend and saved a good chunk but I managed to get a good deal on them.

Lennyz

6. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh Sorry:rolleyes: I have just read the post properly now and realise it doesn't include a sub....sorry

BTW I Love the sound of the K series and I wouldn't change them. Can't comment on the others you are looking at as I have not heard them.

Lennyz

7. Dr Gekko

Dr Gekko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Borrowed both systems kindly supplied by my local dealer, Sound Academy (Bloxwich) & tested them head to head. Truly for almost the same amount of money, the M&K's are vastly overpriced for their performance IMO. The base is too localise from the sub whereas there are 2 active subwoofers from the Mordaunts giving a much warmer sound overall. For their size the M&K's are a nice solution for a small room but really they sound like tin cans compared to the beautifully crafted Mordaunts (they look fab without the grills!!). And for smaller rooms, I think the M&K's would have a seroius run for their value compared to cheaper sub-sat systems form B&W & Kef.

So I'm going to secure the Mordaunts with a deposit asap! Will definitely need a new amp in future though to drive the THX babies!

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    That sounds like a setup problem rather than a problem with the sub.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Smurfin, it hasn't been setup correctly. If the bass is too localised it may be that the crossover is too high.

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I heard some M&k 1510's today and then they changed over to the MS THX series and i preferred the MS sound....the M&k where 2 harsh on my ears, where the MS seemed to sound brill....these were all being run from a Denon Amp...not sure on the model number....think it was a 10se.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Set up well, the 1510s sound great on a 10se, but like everything, everyone has their own preference.

The 1510s do tend to benefit from lots of power though...(apparently)

12. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Chris, the 1510's were being driven by the Denon KAVC-A1SE and both the M&K and MS-500 were set-up properly. I do agree that when the M&K's are played at reference level, the highs are slightly hard on the ears. This is down to the fact that they are very accurate sounding speakers that does not colour the sound therefore reproduces the sound mixed from the studios.
    However, I do find that the MS-500 are more easy to listen to at reference level.

The 1510's definitely offer better imaging, more clarity and more accuracy than the MS-500. In the end its down to preference.
    The MS-500 does paint a bigger and wider soundtage though.

13. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The MSP1510's are excellent speakers and probably do sound great on the A10SE but when turned up to reference levels, especially when combined with bright sounding dvd's, the highs can sound a bit hard on the ears.

When I went to pick up the MSP1510's, Mark put on LOTR and played it pretty loud. The imaging and clarity was exemplary but I did find that the highs were slightly hard on my ears. They were powered by a Rotel power amp, which was processed by the Tag.

Looking back, I now feel that the Gallo Micro's and A'Divas (which I have both owned) performs very much like monitor speakers - giving great clarity, imaging, and uncoloured sound.

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    hmmm that bothers me slightly that people find the M&Ks too bright at reference level, as thats how I like em to be played... (mine haven't arrived yet)

Was THX processing engaged? This can often cut off the harshness I find.

15. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Smurfin, I wouldn't call the sound as bright. Think of it this way. The MPS1510's are exceptionally accurate speakers in that they play the sound as it was recorded.

Like everything in real life, if something is too loud, then we will put our hands over our ears to reduce the loudness. If someone had a gun next to your ear and fired it, you can be sure that it won't sound too comfortable to your ears. If there was two people standing next to you who both had swords in their hands and they were swinging them against each other at full pelt, the you can be sure that it won't sound too comfortable to your ears.

Well, the M&K MPS1510's reproduce those sounds exactly, thats why when you hear bullets or swords clashing together at reference level, it sound like the real deal and it hurts your ears as it would it real life. :eek:

Adding THX-processing does reduce the high's somewhat and will make make in slightly more tolerable to listen to at reference level but I probably have a good feeling that at reference levels, your Missions will be easier on the ears.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Ok I feel better already:D Now I just wish they would turn up......

Actually, speaking of reference level, since I set-up my Lexicon/Rotel combo (changed from Yamaha DSP-A1), I don't feel the need to play stuff at reference level any more. Not sure why, it sounds perfect at around -10db

17. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Smurfin, to be perfectly honest, I think only a hand full of movies should be listened to at reference level to really enjoy the experience but 9/10 playing movies at -10dB is what I would consider perfect. I find that playing movies at reference levels over long periods just as when Chris brought his SVS over, seriously gives me a headache.

18. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Agreed, reference level in a normal living room = generally too bloody loud.

19. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Smurfin, I've just listened to a CD from 'The Police' and 'Queens greatest hit' and I can honestly say hand on heart that I've never had the feeling of the artists perfoming in front of me as I have just now. Clarity from the MPS1510's is phenomenal, as will as the imaging and location of voices and instruments, but its the accuracy of the speakers that sound so good. Drums and instruments simply sound superb and you can easily pick out where they are coming from in the room. There seems to be 'depth' to the music that I have never heard before too.

I think that if you are a casual listener of music, then you will not be dissapointed with the MPS1510's at all. Just be prepared to hear all your favourite CD's in an entirely new light.

If the sound coming form the MPS1510's are bad when playing a music CD, then you will know why. :)

20. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Cool. Best buy me a new CD player then......uh oh...