1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Advice for Kef Egg's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garrad, Aug 13, 2003.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

Ok I have some Kef version 1 Egg speakers on a Denon 3801 7.1 amp setup. What I am planning on doing is getting the Denon 3803 and also the Kef Version 2 Egg speakers.

What I was thinking of doing though was to get the 5.1 Kef Egg v2 pack and then buying two higher quality front floor standers. If I do this what are good fronts?
    And would the Kef v2 Egg centre speaker be ok if I choose different front floor standers or should I change the centre also.

The front two speakers i'd be looking at twice to three times the price of two kef v2 eggs.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    You're better off with 3 identical speakers across the front.
    It's less critical that the rears match, although a complete mis-match wouldn't be good.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so that in mind what is a good speaker upgrade from the Kef Version 1 Egg speakers?

I want something with more depth in the front.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Selling the mark one eggs and Denon 3801 and replacing them with the latest version of both products is a very expensive way to achieve very little.

Have a listen to the JM Sib & Cubs or Gallo speakers for a different sound failing which you may wish to look at bookshelf sized speakers.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the amp and would put the money saved onto the speaker budget

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for upgrading to the 3803 from the 3801 is to get the Dolby 6.1 as currently I only have DTS 6.1 and the majority of my 6.1 movies are Dolby 6.1 not DTS.

I thought if I'm upgrading the amp why not the speakers too. So what would be a good system upgrade then? This is what i'm confused about. Is the only really good step up from the 3801 is to a THX Ultra with THX Spec speakers? Ultimately I want to get a complete THX Ultra spec, should I just hold off and save up for a complete THX spec then?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The 3803 is an updated version of the 3802 which was in turn an updated version of the 3801. Each generation adds a few more bells and whistles but does very little for the overall sound quality. I personally think that it is a lot to spend to get a few more extra surround options and Pro Logic 2 and I would rather stick with the 3801 or buy something more expensive that would show an improvement in sound quality as well as facilities

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    What Ian said ^^^^

8. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I was told the 3801 does output dolby 6.1 as well as dts 6.1. I use 6 mk1 eggs and a mk2 sub.

9. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the kef egg mark 2 sub good? Is it worth the upgrade from the the Kef egg mk1 sub?

Also how much is it?

10. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ive never heard the mk1 sub, but going by what ive read in these forums the difference is big.I bought the 6 mk1 eggs and mk2 sub from http://www.edge-sv.co.uk/offers.phtml for £578