Upgrade advice - AVR200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DarthCharles, Sep 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DarthCharles

DarthCharles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an AVR200 amp. This was bought as part of my AV setup a few years ago and on the whole I'm happy with the sound I get from DVD movies (played through a DV88). These days I'm playing more and more music though the system though and I feel that there could be 'more'. I can't really describe what I think is missing! My audio sources are CD's through the DV88 and Vinyl through a Rega P2 / Pro-ject phono box combination. Other inputs are a Sky (not +) box and several game consoles.

So, the real improvement I'm after is the for stereo sources. The speakers to drive are Monitor Audio Silver S2s.

What are my options? I would rather not get a dedicated stereo amp as I might struggle to justify the outlay. What ever the upgrade I would like the set up when selecting surround sources to remain straight forward as I'm not the only one using the system.

Thanks!

Carl

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For analog stereo playback, the AVR250 or AVR300 would be good upgrades to consider.

I went from a AVR200 to a AVR300 and noticed a big improvement in the quality of stereo playback (and surround playback as well).

3. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me and a couple of my family demoed the AVR200, Yam2400 and Denon 3805. We listened in stereo only and came to the conclusion that the Arcam was by far the best followed by the Denon, then Yam (our opinion :) ). Bearing that in mind, it might be worth getting a power amp or AVR300.

4. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I compared AVR200 and AVR300 using 5.1 analog inputs on both and Pioneer Elite DV-45A as source (DVD-a/SACD player) in 5.1 setup. I have not seen (heard) any meaningful improvement in normal listening levels that would justify upgrade investment.
    I got better results adding P85/3 to my AVR200 to drive my front stage and that’s what I did. :D
    :beer:

5. mefff

mefff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer to the dilema of the harshness in your arcam... as I have viewed it was solved quite easily once I understood it from a stereo perspective and not a 5.1 dolby digital perspective. The arcam 200 which I also own has very little ambiance or subtleness of sound.. there is no overwhelming sound stage or pristine clarity throughout the dynamic range of the music. I overcame this by using a circa 1982 Yamaha M60 (160 watts/channel) for my front 2 channels... preouts from the 200 to this unit. Also I made 5 n (99.999%) silver inter connects and also use a 5 n silver 75 ohm digital interconnect to the arcam. I have a few other tweaks that really have helped but before I did this I was quite disappointed in the musicality of this unit. I just had a very expensive remote. There is nothing that I found in the Arcam to be overwhelmingly warm or musical. By the way..the Yamaha amp cost me 80 bux U.S. My setup now is so killer in soundstage and transparency in the stereo mode I wouldnt spend 5 more cents trying to improve what took me 2 years to accomplish.
    ... Good Luck... Mefff

Arcam avr 200, Totem tabus (fronts) - Totem mite t (centre) - totem lynks (rear speakers), Pioneer V535 5 disc DVD, Hi def Bell XpressVu, Muse model 2 Dac, 5 N silver interconnects and 75 ohm cable, OneAc powerconditioner, Dakiom Feedback Stabilizers, Solid copper 22 guage speaker wire (all Bi-wired)

6. major woody

major woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what i did too. I bought a second hand P85/3. Relative cheap, and great improvement in stereo. In fact a normal P85 (without the center module) is enough to improve your stereo sound.

7. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I added a P90/3 to my AVR200 to drive the fronts and there was a noticable improvement in sound (although I listen only to CD's). I was going to bi amp but was advised the P90/3's power stages will technically outperform the AVR200's power amp stages.

Also when you say you think there could be "more" is this from the CD or vinyl sources or both. If it's only one, it may be better for your pocket to upgrade the source, otherwise adding a better amp or power amp (P90/3 £700) may just highlight even more the lack of punch you refer to? Good luck