1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice - 508.24 CDP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by eggybread, Dec 1, 2004.

1. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Have had my current hi-fi for a number of years now, and am getting itchy...

Meridian 508.24 CD player going into Talk Electronics Storm v1 amp, using Van Den Hul D102 III interconnects.
    Then this is biwired into Cobalt 810 speakers using QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable.

I've often felt that the majority of my system is holding back the potential of the Meridian, and that maybe adding a talk power amp and bi-amping may help.

Apologies in advance if I mess up any technical terms here, its been a while since I looked at all this stuff. I'm after:
    • more 'projection' and 'staging' - ie, the feeling that the performer is in the room with you. i heard this once, years ago, with a mid-range arcam CDP and KEF speakers.
    • more bass control and 'snap'. My Cobalts go down to 45hz, so I guess I need to go down to 40hz. I heard some 40hz speakers and that was the kind of 'grip' of the bass and power that I was after, however, they were fatiguing.

Any suggestions for what type of direction I should be looking would be appreciated. I'm based in Manchester City so if you also know any good retailers out there I can demo at, then great.