Upfiring atmos speakers...recommendations

Dobbollah

So...I was just about the buy some Eltax Monitor ATMS, they seemed very well reviewed, and they are going sit on top of my q3020i.

From all I've read here any upfirer is better placed near the ceiling, but off the bat they will sit on top of what I have.

I just wondered before I click buy if anyone has any thoughts on superior alternatives, with going more than £150 up on the price.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Is there no way you can hang them on the ceiling. I used up firers and they were no where near as good as those fired direct down from the ceiling. It took it up about 100 notches in terms of atmos effects. I did toy with upfirers for ages and wish I just had bitten the bullet and went to the effort of mounting them and hiding the cables.

Dobbollah

I'll certainly give them a good go as up fireres, Ive read hear some have great success with them, it's in lounge not a dedicated room so it would need to be aesthetic, as well as the cables being hid, trunking wouldn't look good and I'm not carving up the walls to hide them.

They are coming today so I'll start with upfirers, with some help from some here tweak seeing and see where I'm at.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I'll certainly give them a good go as up fireres, Ive read hear some have great success with them, it's in lounge not a dedicated room so it would need to be aesthetic, as well as the cables being hid, trunking wouldn't look good and I'm not carving up the walls to hide them.

They are coming today so I'll start with upfirers, with some help from some here tweak seeing and see where I'm at.

sure.
set the upfiriers to +6db calibration and play with the tilt/angle of them, so stuffing something under the base of them to adjust the angle so it hits the seat and hope for the best.
also set crossover for them high.. like 120hz.

i gave them a good go as upfirers for about 1-2 years. was never satisified, as soon as mounted on ceiling i was like wow.. ok.. this is what atmos is lol.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
There seems to be a general consensus with the order of excitement when using Atmos speakers is that the least enjoyable (regardless of speaker type) is upward firing (I guess some of this is there are far to many variables in everyone room for reflections and the distance audio has to travel). Placing upward firing atmos speakers on the wall (whether it be front/rear/side) seems to be the most common option for those who don't want to fit in-ceiling speakers.

The best option is certainly in-ceiling and placing them where Dolby suggests is slowly losing ground as many more people are finding that they can deviate from this and so long as they follow some basic common sense by placing the rear above the seating area and then following the front end rule, many people who cannot place the speakers behind as Dolby recommends are finding this suits them perfectly well

As I've mentioned in another thread, I feel atmos is going through a small adjustment with its placement rule and becoming less focused with its rules and so long as you are able to set the room up well which also means setting those atmos speakers up correctly, I feel we are going to see that it will be surprising what we will be able to get away with as this evolves

It feels like 5.1 where speakers had to placed just right to get the best experience whereas now many people know what they can get away with and still maintain an exciting experience without having follow the rules or compromise to much. It just seems people goal posts are moving and maybe avr's have also improved in managing these areas to, but it has to be a good thing as more people are enjoying atmos at home

Dobbollah

sure.
set the upfiriers to +6db calibration and play with the tilt/angle of them, so stuffing something under the base of them to adjust the angle so it hits the seat and hope for the best.
also set crossover for them high.. like 120hz.

i gave them a good go as upfirers for about 1-2 years. was never satisified, as soon as mounted on ceiling i was like wow.. ok.. this is what atmos is lol.
I just need to learn how to do what you just said... 😀

Dobbollah

So.....I've got the the front left and right on proper stands and 2 up fireres on top, until the floors changed in the lounge I'm not going to get away with loose wires so I'll have to be be patient setting up rears, well sides with the sofas on the back wall.

I need to read up as to how to manually adjust settings, some home work...

Since this post I've made the changes.... now to have a listen and see

Last edited:

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I just need to learn how to do what you just said... 😀
I'd actually suggest you start with +3 dB as a baseline and increase or decrease from there.

When I did my Audyssey calibration, it set them at 0 dB and I initally increased by +5. It sounded terrible in my room, really unbalanced and echoey. This is because I had them too loud and could hear them before any of the other speakers.

Shifting them back down to +3 created a much better sound, more balanced and integrated with a taller and wider soundstage.

What amp do you use? Audyssey XT32 offers you the option to manually input the distance of the upfirers from your ceiling, to create a reasonably accurate "bouncing" effect, I presume.

Any more questions, just ask.:)

Oswald

The best option is certainly in-ceiling and placing them where Dolby suggests is slowly losing ground as many more people are finding that they can deviate from this and so long as they follow some basic common sense by placing the rear above the seating area and then following the front end rule, many people who cannot place the speakers behind as Dolby recommends are finding this suits them perfectly well
What's the the "front end rule"? 🤔

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Oh, I forgot, the Atmos embedded in film soundtracks is actually quite subtle, it's really not obvious at all.

I managed to procure one of these a few years' back at the bargain price of £6.99 delivered:

It was much easier to set levels using one of these, though I wouldn't recommend one at that stupid price, especially as it's a BD-R. They've obviously got an official version and are just knocking off copies really cheaply, but are charging extortionate prices.

Maybe this video might help you:

Good luck!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Edit: just went and checked my own demo disc and it's also a BD-R!:facepalm:

However, all the sound clips work fine and for the price I paid it was worth the risk.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
How does one get the demo disc ?
It's helpful but not essential.

It's something you mainly use for calibration purposes and never really play again, in all honesty.

I think audio files are available to download for free, you could put those on a USB stick.

Why not post a Wanted in the Classifieds on here?

Dobbollah

I'd actually suggest you start with +3 dB as a baseline and increase or decrease from there.

When I did my Audyssey calibration, it set them at 0 dB and I initally increased by +5. It sounded terrible in my room, really unbalanced and echoey. This is because I had them too loud and could hear them before any of the other speakers.

Shifting them back down to +3 created a much better sound, more balanced and integrated with a taller and wider soundstage.

What amp do you use? Audyssey XT32 offers you the option to manually input the distance of the upfirers from your ceiling, to create a reasonably accurate "bouncing" effect, I presume.

Any more questions, just ask.:)
I've got the denon 2700.... I've not seen a distance to ceiling setting.... thats not too say its not there

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I've just looked up your receiver and it offers Audyssey MultEQ XT - maybe this is an updated version of XT32?

Anyway, it also says it offers 7.1 and I'm not sure if that's enough channels to support full Atmos, I think you need at least 9 channels to have Atmos front and rear?

It also offers a sound enhancement called Dolby Height Virtualization, this might be worth experimenting with?

Oswald

I've got the denon 2700.... I've not seen a distance to ceiling setting.... thats not too say its not there
It's under the speaker distance settings - see page 220 of the manual.

Dobbollah

I've just looked up your receiver and it offers Audyssey MultEQ XT - maybe this is an updated version of XT32?

Anyway, it also says it offers 7.1 and I'm not sure if that's enough channels to support full Atmos, I think you need at least 9 channels to have Atmos front and rear?

It also offers a sound enhancement called Dolby Height Virtualization, this might be worth experimenting with?
Pretty sure it's atmos....but yes only 7 channels, but that's all I ever planned, I know it won't be fill atmos....but some atmos is fine...

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro expands C10 MkII speaker range with new colours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett