Updgrade MJ ref 200 to SVS PB-12 plus

phurst

Novice Member
I'm thinking of upgrading my MJ acoustics Ref 200 for an SVS PB12-plus as the MJ is struggling in my largish room (2500 cu.ft.)

I currently have my MJ simultaneously connected via the high level input for listening to music in Stereo and the LFE connected for movies. I use my system for 30% movies and 70% music

1. Is the SVS a worthwhile upgrade (think I know what the answer to this will be)

2. Am I going to lose anything by only being able to connect high & low simultaneously with the SVS?

Phil

System: Arcam AVR350, Arcam CD82T, Trangle Antal ES/Noxa Minor ES/Stella ES, Denon DVD-3920.

Timbo21

2. Am I going to lose anything by only being able to connect high & low simultaneously with the SVS?
Do you mean not being able to connect simultaneously?

I had a Rel Strata 5 before my SVS, which I used to connect with both Hi & Lo connections. With the SVS I just used the lo level. I never missed using both ;) .

I have demoed a ref 200, and was completely underwhelmed by it. So, the SVS should be quite an excellent upgrade, and give you a lot more power & depth :thumbsup:

phurst

Novice Member
Hi Timbo

Meant to say .........NOT being able to connect high & low simultaneously. This would be the same as you moving from a REL Strata 5 to SVS so pleased to hear that you didn't miss using both connections.

Did you have to change any of the settings on the amp to achieve this?

Thanks

Phil

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
I had a Ref 200 and upgraded to Monolith which actually cost less than I got for the MJ.

There is no earthly point in simultaneous connection when using an AV Receiver, so you won't miss it. Or the MJ.:)

Russell

Nimby

Distinguished Member
The SVS can take simultaneous high and low level connections.

If you need two crossover frequencies you will just have to set them manually.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with high level connections.

Use your AVR to select a crossover frequency and enjoy improved sound quality from your speakers.

As well as the upgrade to SVS bass.

phurst

Novice Member
SVS PB12-Plus ordered from AV Sales today. They were incredibly helpful and I'm looking forward to receiving my sub next week although somewhat apprehensive about setting it up.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Make sure you have a strong pair of hands helping, plenty of DVD's and Music to test with and you should be fine :thumbsup:
if you are not tall and well built, yes, have a spare pair of hands available, it isnt so much the weight as the size of the sub that makes it a little awkward, especially if you are shorter....

hope you enjoy it, am enjoying mine...heh :D

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
SVS PB12-Plus ordered from AV Sales today. They were incredibly helpful and I'm looking forward to receiving my sub next week although somewhat apprehensive about setting it up.
Don't be. Whatever it's capabilities, it's just a sub.

Do yourself a favour, buy an SPL meter from the BK Electronics website and download the test tones from Home Theater Shack. With those, you'll have the minimum necessary for decent sub setup.

Then we'll persuade you to buy a BFD/SMS-1 etc, etc.....

Welcome to the world or real bass.:clap:

Russell

Timbo21

The SVS can take simultaneous high and low level connections.

If you need two crossover frequencies you will just have to set them manually.

Use your AVR to select a crossover frequency and enjoy improved sound quality from your speakers.

As well as the upgrade to SVS bass.
The Rel's have seperate gain controls for hi & lo. Whereas, as you know, SVS has just the one for both. Rel also used the subs xover purely for the hi level connection, and lo level had none. So the amp could handle that. It was a nice function, but pretty useless when the quality of the bass just wasn't there to begin with.

Did you have to change any of the settings on the amp to achieve this?
You will have to set up from scratch, especially since the SVS has a much more powerful amp. Start by setting the SVS gain at 9, or 10 oclock. Anything above is likely to be too much & would result in you having to dramatically reduce the sub gain on your av amp.

phurst

Novice Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. Just need to wait another 3 days for the new arrival.

Do yourself a favour, buy an SPL meter from the BK Electronics website and download the test tones from Home Theater Shack.
Already have an SPL meter and Digital Video Essentials so sound like I'm fully equipped for the setup (once my arms have recovered from lifting it):D

Thanks. I'll just connect low level, set my main speakers to small and see how I get on. Think it will be absolutely fine for movies but hope I don't lose anything on stereo as I'll not be able to run the processor in 'Direct' mode.

Just need to flog the MJ Reference 200

I had a Ref 200 and upgraded to Monolith which actually cost less than I got for the MJ
This seems to indicate that I should get over £400 for the MJ but can anyone advise exactly how much I should be asking?

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom