Updating Software

martin_d

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Loewe Concept L26 and was wondering how you go about updating the software on it or how I find out what the latest software version is. The EPG is pretty patchy at times and thought thi may fix it.

Cheers

To update the firmware on Loewe displays you need a special interface box and of course the firmware.

Any decent Loewe dealer should be able to do this for you but you should contact LinnSight (the distributor) if you are having difficulty. There have been a large number of updates over the past few months so an upgrade may well be worthwhile.

HTH

Neil

Martin

You say the EPG is patchy - can I ask what the symptoms are and what version of software you are running?

To find out the software version, press the info button on the remote and choose 'Integrated Features' (2nd or 3rd option down). It should list the software version. I think the latest version is currently 4.17

Regards

timtjohnson said:
Martin

You say the EPG is patchy - can I ask what the symptoms are and what version of software you are running?

To find out the software version, press the info button on the remote and choose 'Integrated Features' (2nd or 3rd option down). It should list the software version. I think the latest version is currently 4.17

Regards
I'm running 1.1.4M I think, will check tonight. EPG is often not popluated for most channels and sometimes for none at all

terrible epg on the loewe , utterly abysmal imo

plus it uses the analogue signal to update , not much use in a few years when it's turned off

I have exactly the same problem and I'm using 1.1.4 also on my Individual Selection 32.

After much analysis I have worked out that:

It is only collecting EPG data when it's not in standby mode, i.e. when I’m watching TV.

If I switch it on and watch BBC1 after a few minutes I will have data for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4. If I then switch to ITV1 I shortly and additionally have ITV1, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 in the EPG. The EPG will collect and temporarily store is this way until the TV is placed back into standby mode. It then looses all the data.

To force my TV to do a proper update and permanently store the EPG data I do the following:

Switch it off at the mains and switch back on BUT leaving it in standby mode.

After two minutes the red light turns orange and the TV spends the next hour properly populating the EPG and storing it. If I then take the TV out of standby the EPG will be fully up-to-date after waiting for about 2 minutes for the data to be transferred from permanent memory.

I’d be interested to know if you have exactly the same because I’m having trouble convincing Loewe of a problem.

timtjohnson said:
I have exactly the same problem and I'm using 1.1.4 also on my Individual Selection 32.

After much analysis I have worked out that:

It is only collecting EPG data when it's not in standby mode, i.e. when I’m watching TV.

If I switch it on and watch BBC1 after a few minutes I will have data for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4. If I then switch to ITV1 I shortly and additionally have ITV1, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 in the EPG. The EPG will collect and temporarily store is this way until the TV is placed back into standby mode. It then looses all the data.

To force my TV to do a proper update and permanently store the EPG data I do the following:

Switch it off at the mains and switch back on BUT leaving it in standby mode.

After two minutes the red light turns orange and the TV spends the next hour properly populating the EPG and storing it. If I then take the TV out of standby the EPG will be fully up-to-date after waiting for about 2 minutes for the data to be transferred from permanent memory.

I’d be interested to know if you have exactly the same because I’m having trouble convincing Loewe of a problem.

That is EXACTLY what I am experiencing too. I have reported this to my retailer, tv and video diretc, and they will arrange for Linnsight to come out to my house. I'll let you know how I get on. Haven't tried your method of updating the EPG, but will give it a go, but at £1000 for a 26" TV you would expect the EPG to work properly!

I would be very interested in their response. I'm having trouble convincing Linnsight that there is a problem and I'm beginning to get frustrated. Someone else with exactly the same problem would be very helpful.

Please could you confirm that you are referring to the 8 day EPG system rather than the older 'Now & Next' system.

timtjohnson said:
I would be very interested in their response. I'm having trouble convincing Linnsight that there is a problem and I'm beginning to get frustrated. Someone else with exactly the same problem would be very helpful.

Please could you confirm that you are referring to the 8 day EPG system rather than the older 'Now & Next' system.
Yes, the 8 day EPG. Linnsight called today and the guy asked me if I had been speaking to someone from london on this forum, so must have been you I take it:D He asked me to try it over the weekend, ie leave TV in standby overnight, switch on, select EPG, it should show no information, switch off EPG, then switch back on in 2 mins time and info for all channels should be displayed for the 8 days. I told him I've tried it and it only shows for the channels I am watching, but agreed to try again over the weekend. He's going to call me on Monday and possibly come out next Thursday or Friday if I am still having problems. He did think there may be a problem with the long term memory. I'll keep you posted

Hi I to am experiencing the same problem on my 32" Individual Selection, Darn EPG is proving to be totally useless for me unless i flick through a majority of chanels forcing it to load the data. I cant upgrade the firmware, as soon as i try to force it to go off & hunt for an upgrade it comes back telling it was unsuccessfull & it appears to be down to access privilages that it wont update or so it appears to me?

So if i want to upgrade the firmware are you chaps saying i've got to cart the whole thing back to my retailer just to get a firmware upgrade & like each time there is a firmware upgrade i've got to keep carting to the retailer who'll probably sit on it for a few days anyway before performing the 2 minute job.

Not impressed at all considering this is supposed to be a top end TV :(

As far as I’m aware the TV software can't be updated over the air but the DVB software can. As the TV must still be under warranty you should call your retailer and they should send out a Linnsight engineer to perform the upgrade (it takes around 10 minutes). The upgrade to 1.1.4 didn't solve the EPG problem for me and I’m still waiting for a satisfactory solution.

Presently, I have the TV on a timer switch that switches it off at 1:45am for one minute. Two minutes after it comes back on it starts downloading the EPG which takes about 45 minutes. To my mind there must be a software fault and not a hardware fault because it can perform and store the update when forced to.

I would suggest you call Linnsight (Loewe's UK agent) directly on 08000 27 64 65 and describe your problem because so far they are denying there is an issue with the EPG. The more customers who contact them the more likely there are to treat this seriously. You may also like to email Loewe directly using [email protected] (their English is excellent).

This TV is expensive and being let down by the EPG and poor customer service.

Please let me know how you get on.

I'm not currently a Loewe owner (now have a Philips 37PF9830 on which SW updates are downloaded from Philips website and uploaded to TV via USB or memory card) but I used to have a Loewe Xelos CRt which I purchased in Australia and brought with me when I moved to the UK.

Authorised Loewe dealer in London wanted £90 to enable it to receive PAL-I transmissions (Australia uses PAL-B/G). I contacted Loewe in Germany direct and they emailed instructions on how to enter the service menu and change the settings. Took 2mins. and cost me nothing. I have since contacted Loewe in Germany about another technical matter concerning DECT telephones and, even though they no longer make the telephone products, they were extremely helpful and even sent me pdf files with full manuals translated into English.

Try email or calling Loewe direct!

I have forwarded to Loewe a link to this thread. Perhaps they will investigate now that three people have the same EPG problem.

timjohnson, make that 4 people.

I have been having EPG problems since getting my Loewe Individual a couple of months ago. Not worried about it too much as I will be getting Sky + soon. But now I'm worried I have an inherently faulty piece of kit.

My dealer told me I should leave my TV in standby mode and not switch it off, so that the EPG can keep updating itself. This is not happening though and never get a full complement of programme information on the EPG menu.

What is all this about upgrading firmware??

(I have just found this thread and would be keen to know if Loewe have found a solution to this problem, otherwise I also will be contacting them).

It appears that you too have the same EPG problem. I am still in contact with Loewe but I would suggest you contact them also as they still don't seem convinced there is a problem.

When I hear anything definitive from Loewe I will certainly post information here but in the meantime if anyone else has Loewe EPG issues it would be really helpful if you could post something on this thread.

Hi timjohnson, i contacted Loewe or linn in scotland and after endless grief i finally got to speak to some fella who told me the same as previous posts where EPG will or should update over night then store to memory.

Well it doesn't or sometimes it does sometimes it dont, the only way i can force it to is actually switch it off, leave it in stand by for two hours then it stores in memory, well that is until i put it back into stand by.

EPG is useless on the set, their help staff are useless and rude and spoke to me like i was brain dead. I've now become used to the fact the epg is completly defective and unusable most of the time.

I just use the good old tv paper now, well that is until i take the plunge into sky hd :)

Loewe TV's are stunning along with the PQ on the Individual and its sound quality, but EPG is clearly defective. The linn Loewe support staff need to attend a course in customer service becuase their rude & obviously haven't the interest to help their customers :(

Problem now appears to be solved! The EPG now updates overnight and it reliably includes all the channels that have been specified. It all seems to run a little quicker too!

An engineer came out to update both the TV software and the DVB software. The process took about 90 minutes and required the TV to be hooked up to the engineer's laptop via a little interface box. This update cannot be done over-the-air.

The new version numbers of the updated software are as follows:
- TV Software: V4.20
- DVB Software: V1.1.7 M

(This information can be verified by pressing 'Info' and choosing 'Integrated Features'.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom