Updating old Frankenstein Home Theater Setup

DJHelow

Standard Member
Hey everyone!

I am new to the foums and I am looking to update my current home theater setup and reuse my sub if possible.

My sub is an old automotive Alpine type R 300W RMS 1000 w max and wired for 2 ohms. It is currently running off an automotive alpine 500w amp and a 850w computer power supply.

If attempting to use this automotive sub with the new system does not make since, I will be interested in replacing it.

I could use some recommendations for
  • A new receiver with the ability to expand to wireless 5 or 7 channel surround
  • New front bookshelf speakers
  • Center speaker
  • Solution for this sub situation
    • Dedicated home theater amp
    • Or receiver that can power it
    • Or ditch this idea altogether and purchase a dedicated home theater sub
Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

gibbsy

Modern receivers work on a passive speaker, up to thirteen channels and LFE mono connection to one or two powered subs. It would be impossible to hook up a passive sub to a modern receiver.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

DJHelow

Standard Member
Modern receivers work on a passive speaker, up to thirteen channels and LFE mono connection to one or two powered subs. It would be impossible to hook up a passive sub to a modern receiver.

Awesome, that is very helpful. Could I get an amp for the sub to basically turn that sub into an active speaker?

gibbsy

You would need to have an amp that has LFE input and I don't know of any. I would imagine such a set up would be difficult to EQ into the system and most modern subs do integrate via the receiver's EQ systems, such as the Audyssey found on Marantz and Denon models very well indeed.

By the time you bought a new amp, if you're able to find one, then that will not be far off the cost of a new powered sub and the benefits it would bring.

DJHelow

Standard Member
You would need to have an amp that has LFE input and I don't know of any. I would imagine such a set up would be difficult to EQ into the system and most modern subs do integrate via the receiver's EQ systems, such as the Audyssey found on Marantz and Denon models very well indeed.

By the time you bought a new amp, if you're able to find one, then that will not be far off the cost of a new powered sub and the benefits it would bring.

Ok, that will make this plan a lot more straightforward then.

Now I need to decide on the following hardware
  • Receiver
  • Front bookshelf speakers
  • Center speaker
  • Sub
  • Wireless surround sound speakers compatible with receiver
Budget is about $3,000

Would like the ability to have a microphone input for livingroom karaoke.

What brands and product lines would be recommended?

gibbsy

The main thing to remember about the fronts speakers is that they should all come from the same model line up. This will help preserve the timbre across the front soundstage. Wireless surround speakers could take up a big chunk of your budget, quite possibly more than both receiver and those front speakers. Wireless is a bit of a misnomer as they still have to have a power lead going to them so must be close to an electrical socket.

Karaoke. Sorry haven't a scooby do on that I'm afraid.

As for receivers I almost always suggest Denon as they have a fairly good room EQ onboard and are simplicity itself to set up.

As for working within your budget that is also beyond me and many others on the Forum simply because this is a UK based Forum. But fear not I know a guy that can help based in the US and I'll tag him for you and I trust his knowledge implicitly.

@BlueWizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member

Now I need to decide on the following hardware
  • Receiver
  • Front bookshelf speakers
  • Center speaker
  • Sub
  • Wireless surround sound speakers compatible with receiver
Budget is about $3,000 ....

I would guess about $2000 for Speakers, and about $1000 for an AV Receiver, which should work out very well. Though in your case, you only need FRONT, CENTER, and Sub, so you should do very well.

I would say, as a generalization, that the Center should cost roughly the price of the Front Pair.

As to AV Receiver, you should be able to get something very nice in a DENON, though as a back up perhaps something in a Yamaha. Alternately, a Marantz.

Here are some place in the USA to Shop -

And of course -

Also, there are several Internet Direct Seller, but I'm not that familiar with them - HSU, RLS, SVS, and many others.

SVS or SV Sound has some nice highly regarded Speakers -

Bookshelf -

Even the somewhat low cost PRIME still hit a pretty high standard.

Great Center Speakers -

And very well regarded Subwoofers for Movies -

The New Klipsch RP-Series (Reference Premier) have been getting Rave Reviews. They have really tamed the harshness that used to accompany Klipsch Consumer Speakers. Check Youtube for many review on the Klispch RP-Series -

Klipsch Bookshelf -

Klipsch are very high output speakers and don't require much power for them to reach volume.

Klipsch Center -

Depending on how much space you have, I would recommend the 6.5" RP-600M Bookshelf and the 2x5.25" RP-500C Center. You will have to add that up to make sure it fits your budget.

As to Subwoofers, the SVS hit a pretty high standard, so they can be used with any speaker.

That said, Klipsch does make Subwoofer too if you want to keep your equipment matched -

Crutchfield - Powered Subwoofers - Klipsch

As to AV Receiver, here are some DENON just to give you an idea -

You can sometimes get a bargain, if you buy one model year old. For example, compare the price of the X3600 (2019) to the X3700 (2020). They are essentially the same amp. Same with the X4500 and the X4700, just different model years.

The X3600/X3700 is a very popular model and kind of in the sweet spot for cost and performance.

Yamaha also has a range of products, and Yamaha in general tends to be High-Value -

Again, you want to be in the general vicinity of $1000 -

Probably that A1080 is best value.

Again, I didn't total up the systems, but that should give you some idea of what is possible and were to look in the USA.

CRUTCHFIELD is a very old and reliable company, they have been around for decade.

SVS can be ordered directly from SVS, or many Audio Sellers have them in stock.

All the companies I listed are trusted sellers.

NOTE: Some of the Items I listed may be out of stock due to disruption in the supply chain, but do a Google Search, and you should be able to find them from other Dealers somewhere in the USA.

NOTE 2: Pay attention to whether the Speakers are priced EACH or per PAIR.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

DJHelow

Standard Member
Wow, thank you for all the information! I will update with my plans after I take a closer look at everything.

DJHelow

Standard Member
Will the AVR-x3700H support surround sound using HEOS wireless speakers like the "Denon Heos AVR"

In the description is says that it supports HEOS, but it does not specify that it supports surround sound HEOS.

gibbsy

Wow, thank you for all the information! I will update with my plans after I take a closer look at everything.
Glad Steve was able to help you. Always nice to hit the 'like' button when someone does so. :smashin:

DJHelow

Standard Member
I dont seam to have the ability to like posts. Possibly a permissions issue or because I am on mobile?

gibbsy

I dont seam to have the ability to like posts. Possibly a permissions issue or because I am on mobile?
It's because you are on a mobile.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Will the AVR-x3700H support surround sound using HEOS wireless speakers like the "Denon Heos AVR"

In the description is says that it supports HEOS,...

HEOS is a layer of communication overlaid onto DLNA (network streaming). For Yamaha this would be MusicCast. These are usually proprietary layers. If the Amp says it support HEOS, then it support HEOS, there is no distinction between bookshelf and surround speakers ... to the best of my knowledge.

Steve/bluewizard

DJHelow

Standard Member
I am going with the Denon AVR-X3700H, Klipsch RP-600m, RP-600C to start. I will expand the system from there.

DJHelow

Standard Member
I went ahead and added the R-120SW. I am set until I get around to running cable all over for surround sound.

So the entire system so far is:

• Denon X3700H. $1,199
  • Klipsch RP-600m x2 $460
  • Klipsch RP-600C. $420
  • Klipsch R-120SW. $375
  • Total. $2,454
Everything was on sale, so I think I did pretty good for what I got.
20200831_073449.jpg

PernusGre

Standard Member
I'm on the market for practically the same equipment (denon x3700h and 2x rp-600m) and I would like to know if you're pleased with the sound of the Klipsch? I currently have two magnat front towers on a denon avr x1000 and two svs pb-1000 subs and would like to replace the towers and avr...

DJHelow

Standard Member
I'm on the market for practically the same equipment (denon x3700h and 2x rp-600m) and I would like to know if you're pleasedh with the sound of the Klipsch? I currently have two magnat front towers on a denon avr x1000 and two svs pb-1000 subs and would like to replace the towers and avr...

They are great! I had a JBL PA system setup before and the new setup is much better quality all around.

I first purchased the center and bookshelf speakers without the sub, and I immediately realized they were not adequate without a sub. With the sub it is fantastic.

The sub I got is overkill for me. I think the less expensive 10 inch would have been a better purchase for me. I keep it turned down to the point the dishes in the kitchen cabinet dont bounce around lol. I decided to keep it because I would rather have too much than not enough.

I used to have to turn up the volume when people were talking, but turn it down for action sequences in movies and shows. It is now very well balanced and very satisfying.

gibbsy

I went ahead and added the R-120SW. I am set until I get around to running cable all over for surround sound.

So the entire system so far is:

• Denon X3700H. $1,199
  • Klipsch RP-600m x2 $460
  • Klipsch RP-600C. $420
  • Klipsch R-120SW. $375
  • Total. $2,454
Everything was on sale, so I think I did pretty good for what I got.
View attachment 1358240
Looks very good, neat set up. I would do one thing though and that is to bring all the speakers forward so that they are sitting about half an inch proud of the edge of the cabinet. This will stop any unwanted audio reflections off the top of that cabinet. Having an almost identical set up as you do there is a difference, certainly with the centre giving cleaner dialogue.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom